Truck stop observations

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wolverine11, Mar 28, 2016.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Have you ever held an antenna in your hand during a thunderstorm? Hold it out horizontal to start, then slowly turn it vertical. The tip will start poping and hissing from the static. :confused:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    rubber to pavement did work, in my test with bungee. I thought someone lost their mind suggesting such a thing. But keeping the bungee from flapping was impossible, I could hear each time it touched then flapped in wind. I figured I'd need to drag a log chain, till Handlebar suggested graphite. Ultimately my truck is owned by Penske, and they kept replacing the lube since the graphite I added made it gray/black. So I spent the extra on drain and lube, and Penske is none the wiser.

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    There is a connection between one's CB and the HUB OIL??? WTF!!! :)

Or are you all yanking on the new kids chain???

I've been cow tipping and snipe hunting too. ;-)

Blaskowitz and TheDude1969 Thank this.
  5. hayseed

hayseed Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    The Natural State
    I have a piece of 5/16 stainless steel wire dragging from each of my rear shock mount bolts. Before mounting this I had the normal static. Tried the rubber straps, no difference. Mounted the wire and the static is gone.

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If you think about it all the metal parts of your truck are all connected to each other In one way or another and that includes the ground wire connected to the back side of your CB radio as well as the engine oil and transmission fluids and gear oil as well as your antifreeze

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  7. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    LMAO MacDaddy
    I know it sounds ridiculous, and its April fools day doesn't help, but Gods honest truth. I don't recall ever reading a full explanation I could wrap my mind around... So I'm not sure if its the tires rotating, or air flowing over the body causing the static? But I do get the minerals in gear lube conduct, while synthetic will not.

How a rubber bungee or tires can discharge static, the only way I can noodle such a thing is imagine blowing up a rubber balloon, rub it vigorously over your wife's hair(<---they love when you do that!), then it will stick to the ceiling. (static cling) It will slowly discharge over a few mins, but to remove the static immediately touch a grounded appliance or water pipe.

Before I embarrass myself any further with my tiny understanding, or mis-understanding of electronics, women, and blow up things made of rubber, hopefully one of the more educated can make sense of what and why.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  8. Evvy Thomas

Evvy Thomas Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
    I've read that steel belted radial tires can cause it .

Blaskowitz and TheDude1969 Thank this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    When two metal objects Are connected through gear oil which does not conduct electricity it makes for a crappy electrical connection and by adding graphite to the gear oil it helps make the connection

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  10. Charlie Mac

Charlie Mac Ears On, Hammer Down

Dec 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    No, I like being alive. :toothy2:

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Here is a post sort of explaining why you get static;

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.