Truck stops 25 years ago

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Bronco5097, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Diesel 92.9....
    Really not that long ago, in the cosmic term. Must have been about 1990/1992
    About the same time TA took over the Union 76 TruckStops and made them change their signs or go independent.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Still there. I have a buddy that stays there every trip to LA area.

4. sassytrucker

sassytrucker <strong>"Don't Sass Me"</strong>

Oct 29, 2007
    Denison, TX
    Hubby and I were just talking the other day about all the good truck stops. We still like to eat at one of the small one in Whitesboro, Texas. It is right off of Hwy 82. Both that one and one off of I35 in Gainesville (forgot the name of it but is a smaller one) have wonderful biscuits and gravy...yummy! My bestfriend and I have always been night owls and we would go there around 3am and get us some good grub! Everyone was always very friendly and even being two young females by ourselves we always felt safe, since they knew us and would watch out for us!

Now I am making myself hungry. :smt117

5. Wingnut

Wingnut Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2008
    New England
    Let's not forget Rubes truck stop in Jersey City, or on second thought, maybe we should..LOL

6. Generation Follower

Generation Follower Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2008
    indiana
    I know i am late but I remember thew old 76 truck stop in Georgia they had awesome pancakes. Dad hauled trough there a lot I miss it i am ready to be 21 and get my class A CDL i would like to take dad back through there.

7. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    First of all, it wasn't "TA" that bought Petro, it was the PARENT Company: Hospitality Properties Trust which bought out TA in January 2007.
    They bought ONLY about 70 of the Travel Plazas, and leased 40 of them to TA.

8. lzuplift

lzuplift Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2008
    colorado springs,co
    whatever happened to 76 truck stops?

9. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    76's have been gone for about 8 years, mabey 10

When I was a kid my grandparents took us to the 76 trck stop in oak creek WI every friday night for dinner. My grandpa wasn't a trucker either, and we lived way on the opposite side of town.

There is still the dixie truck stop on 55 in IL. it's seen better days but they have a decent buffet with grill to order steaks, etc. Of course the parking lot has holes big enough to swallow a truck.

My dad knew every little truck stop in the country when I was learning to drive. He wouldn't stop at one of the big unless we were sitting a few days. Back then the Petro was good and the food was great. now days it is the same as the rest of the truck stop slop. one flying hook will have good food, the next one will give ya food poisoning :biggrin_2551: I think some are trying and other couldn't care less.

Voss travel ports are decent and untill pilot bought out Bosselmans they were good.

Sapp's a re good but getting hard to find

Support your independants, drivers!

10. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
    use to be a 76 right up from my house, i use to love that place when i was 8-10yo exit 20(not sure what it was back in the day, probley exit 6???) off 81 here in WV
    then i remember when it went to T/A then it just went away

now in that exact same spot , a Wally world is opening in March:biggrin_2556:

11. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My parants used to eat there every sunday after selling at seven mile fair

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.