Truck\Trailer Combination?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by tc3500, Dec 11, 2017.

1. tc3500

tc3500 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2017
    I am setting up to drive very soon. Have the DOT # and applied for MC as well.
    My question is about truck and trailer combination.....I am purchasing a new truck, trading in my current personal use for a Ram and want to run a 40' PJ with air ride.
    My concern is overall length. I put a deposit on a Crew Cab Long Bed, but it's looking like it could exceed 65'. I know the Megacab Short Box is almost a foot shorter and technically is under 65' but I've read that some PJ decks are over, such as 40'8".
    Can anyone running a newer Ram and 40' PJ tell me if they are under/over the 65'?
    Also I like the slide in ramp model, or should I be looking at the Mega Ramp models. Looks like the Mega Ramp trailer could limit the loading of a second vehicle if I ever needed to haul vehicles.
    I have my CDL and HazMat and BOC3, etc........really just finalizing everything. My plan is to run OTR in all 48, or at least in the areas that I can find decent loads and stay busy.
    Thanks for any replies, this site has been a great help so far.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dubbs

Dubbs Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Get the monster ramps, you can lock them vertically if you need to and haul your second vehicle.

To be under 65’ with a 40’ trailer you would need the truck to be 16’ or less from the front bumper to the center of the rear axle... that would put your wheel base between 150 and 170” depending on the truck and what sort of front bumper you put on (guesstimate). But you’re probably going to be pushing 65 no matter what length truck you get. I know my setup was stupid long, I had a 44” pj and an 11’ flatbed. I never got a ticket in for it either... but maybe I was just lucky. I wouldn’t sweat if you’re a few inches over.

tc3500 Thanks this.
  4. tc3500

tc3500 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Thank you Dubbs for the reply. What do you guys think about air ride, is it a money maker?

5. Dubbs

Dubbs Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    It definitely makes a better ride. Put it on the truck too. Firestone makes a ride right kit, you can install it yourself in an afternoon.

tc3500 Thanks this.
  6. tc3500

tc3500 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2017
    I'm trying to decide whether or not to lay out the cash for an air ride trailer at start up, would I get enough 'air ride req'd' loads for it to pay for the difference over time. The fact that it rides better is definitely a plus. Also I see the type of trailer that @flatbedcarrier runs and that seems to be working well for him. Not an easy decision, I don't have any contracts lined out.

7. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Every now and then I see air ride as requirement for a load. Unless you find steady customer needing it. Yes your ride will be smooth and easier on your equipment. IMO long time for ROI

8. Dubbs

Dubbs Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    It might keep you from losing out on 6 loads a year maybe.

What I would tell you to think about in your ROI calculations is wear and tear on you and your equipment. Hotshotting is tough enough without the road beating you up, 30 people a day flashing their brights at you because your truck isn’t riding level. I think I held out about 6 weeks before I added it to the truck.

9. tc3500

tc3500 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Thanks you both for the help. I'm trying to balance everything between what I need and should spend, vs what would be ideal if cost were no object......which of course it is.

10. Dubbs

Dubbs Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    So, not to derail this thread, just as an exhotshot that barely missed losing his butt the last time the oil industry took a crap, why not just drive a big truck? The money is typically better, more comfortable, and it’s not like there is a shortage of jobs. You don’t have to worry about length or axle weights.

11. tc3500

tc3500 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Several reasons, but my home is in Alaska and I am hoping that if I put in hard work the first year or so that I will be able to take a couple weeks off a few times a year for fishing and hunting next year. I have some income no matter what I am doing but don't want the expense of a big rig sitting 6 weeks a year or the hassle of asking for time off when the Chinooks run. Maybe these goals are too lofty but I am willing to run OTR and won't have to be home for the first 6mo at least. Will want days off but realize that when there is a load that pays I will be working.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.