Trucker logbooks doubted

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Cybergal, Aug 26, 2007.

1. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Left Lane
    What about the 34hr rule, that one makes me money:wink:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

They are talking of taking it away.

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    This weekend may be the last 34 hour restart.

We will know in a week, I guess.

It makes me wonder about when I run to Canada. It appears they will still have the 36 hour restart. It may be finally legal to run two log books.

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

They won't make a change over night. Up until now they've always had a soft enforcement of about 3 months.

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I am not worried about the feds. My company is already talking about enforcing the rules. They are the ones that annoy me. They check my logs weekly. DOT is only when they get me.

7. rex

rex Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Colorado
    Long live loose leafs. Just keep 'em neat and up to date...

But seriously, I've been considering this on board electronic recording business. If drivers who ran up against their 14 hour limit due to shipper/receiver incompetence and/or indifference actually had to stop and rest, wouldn't that cause a whole bunch of late deliveries? How long would that go on until all the trucking companies started to bill real heavily for unreasonable delays? Do you suppose that a lot of these laggard shippers/receivers would become much more efficient real quick? In other words wouldn't that put the burden of timely deliveries where it really belongs and allow drivers to make their runs legally and still make a decent income? Just a late night thought...
    rx

8. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It is NOT ONLY by increasing the "rates" or installing "Duty Recorders" that will encourage COMPLIANT operation, but also by repealing the FLSA exemption that truckers are paid under today. Also by paying a DECENT HOURLY WAGE for all hours on lines 3 & 4 (PLUS Overtime) that incrementally awards drivers for SAFETY and LONGEVITY.
    I am NOT implying that Labor Unions need to get involved, I think that Labor Unions are as corrupt as the day is long.

Companies could compete for the BEST drivers by offering tempting pay packages complete with decent medical coverage, vacation/holiday pay and adequate "Home-Time"; much like they do today.
    I believe that would cause these "fly-by-night" companies to close their doors and help slow the driver turn-over.

9. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    They USED to use the "Tachographs" here in the US until trucking was deregulated in the 1970's.

10. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    This would work, but the shippers who will cause the delays will just find companies that run teams, or you're co. will start running teamed trucks. They will find ways around most things you can throw at them

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh, that's even better. Now they'd be holding up 2 drivers instead of one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.