1. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Those healthy choice dinners are absolutely delicious

Cerberus XVI Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    You ain't hitting the right places.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Yeah, not every place is like Taco Bell or Red Burrito (Hardee's).

5. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Pretty much what I did. Have the shop yank out the passanger seat and measure how large you can go. Think i got a small 2.7 cu ft dorm fridge. Fits perfect and i have a small rachet strap hooked into the seatbelt anchors comming out of the floor to keep it there should an accident or anything happen.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Man, Hardee's is something else...

I am Canadian and we don't have that chain around here. Tried it at the Sutton WV flying J one day and never again!

7. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    I eat once a day, if I'm hungry or not! I drink a pot of coffee. Then switch to water. I lost 40 pounds by just switching to water. No coke, no sweet tea. I will on occasion drink a Mexican coke if I find em. But not often. In this business you're kinda like a coon. You eat what you can find.

8. Duurtipoker

Duurtipoker Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD
    Sure, you find those authentic places from time to time. But I said most, not all.

Ed

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In my day I loaded and unloaded trailers once or twice daily. Then drive a few hundred miles and do it again before sunrise. Very physical.

At that point it does not matter what I ate. I would eat it all and burn it for either winter fuel to stay warm or to get strong to lump more freight. My weight was around 145 or so for decades. It did not matter if I ate 8000 calories or 80 calories. The weight stayed the same due to the amount of physical work that burned off the food before it had a chance to get me fat. There were times up in the Dakotas we would eat 4 square meals a day in winter at -40 and it will not be enough because it's very cold and there is work to do in the trailer.

Im 200 now. been working on weight management these last few years. 185 would be a good goal. I think some days I have about a thousand calories and that is plenty for what I do around the home which is very little compared to my prime.

Diet was no such thing in my time back then either. You ate what you can find when you found it because you did not know when you will eat again. Might be a few hours it might be a few days. The one thing you cannot be without is fluid. Having no fluids can kill you in a couple days. Has nothing to do with fitness, strength etc. Always have fluid on hand if anything.

With today's luxury tractors and airride everywhere, it's easy to get fat if you eat the wrong foods for the wrong reasons. If you eat for addiction or pleasure, there is never enough food in all the USA to satisfy your craving. Eating too much will cause you to gain weight. So you have to take on more loads that require physical unloading which is not hard in trucking or you have to eat less. Say one good meal a day but never before sleeping.

There is no point in describing the old 4 food groups and what they do, you already know what works for you and what does not. Just eat a bit less and work harder. As long your weight holds steady or better yet drops a few pounds, you are in the right track food wise.

coastietruckin' and noluck Thank this.
  10. coastietruckin'

coastietruckin' Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Roger that! I'm planning on getting into flatbed or tanker work. I think I might just stick with salads as much as I can and steer clear of sugar and excess carbs. And if I have energy when I shut down for the day, get a quick workout in like a jog or some pull-ups/push-ups/speed rope.

11. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Research the salads you plan to eat, more so the dressing. Salads sound super healthy, however it's no different than toppings on a burger. Some make them healthier than others.

Lepton1 and coastietruckin' Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.