Truckers Tailgating

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Labrador, May 21, 2022.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Sign on the back of a dry van..."We don't get there fast but we get there every time".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Maybe think about the windshields behind you before you do that next time. It's not only the person behind you on the road, but even if it were, you're taking an already bad situation and making it worse.

4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Uh, this is back in the early 90's. I haven't been back there since, so I'm not positive, but at least at that time many stretches of the German Autobahns had no speed limit. Having cars ripping down the Autobahn at 100 plus speeds was normal and virtually always present. So, I wasn't breaking any speed limit laws at the time.

5. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    I consider myself a safe and courteous driver. I’m rarely in a hurry, and am quick to mentally blast on someone that I see driving like an amateur.

So after reading this post, yesterday I caught myself riding a guys bumper and knew that I was there for a couple miles. We were going a few mph under the limit, but nonetheless, I was in lala land and caught my snap and thought of this thread.

So basically this post is just a public confession and an exercise in self checking my ###.

I reckon I’m not infallible, even though I will never admit that to my wife…

It helps sometimes to see stupid people do stupid things to remind you to stay on top of your own stupidity.

Anyways, stay safe out there people.

Signed,
    Forever in Training

Labrador and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    How many people think about it logically like that and how many are ruled by their emotions when their perception is that they’re being slowed down?

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Thinking about the person's windshield behind you is why you bump the shoulder or rumble strip a bit when they're on your ###.

8. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    I usually wait till there is a line of cars in the left lane then slow 5-10.

9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I've noticed a new breed of idiots out here.
    When they pass you, they don't drive up to within
    25 feet of your rear bumper, then get in the left lane
    And make their pass.

Nooo, these idiots get in the left lane a quarter mile
    Before they get to you.
    Taking 45 minutes to make the pass blocking up traffic,
    Causing all kinds of road rage.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Because they're afraid to get to close, somebody might report them for tailgating.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The most effective is when you’re coming up to gravel road and you know there will be rocks drug out right to the edge of the highway lane from the vehicles coming off the gravel.

12. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    You're partly right. I had to talk with safety due to being under 2 second following too much. Safety could tell exactly what I was doing. Just from the graph. Pulling up close and then moving to pass. They basically said just sit behind the other truck. As you won't gain that much time/distance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.