Truckers - What are your top 5 problems?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by paragur, Apr 13, 2017.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RDBG

RDBG Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2016
    In no particular order

1)Shippers and receivers

2)Drivers on the road. 4 wheels 18 wheels 6 wheels whatever.....

3)Dispatch and pretty much anyone else that rides a desk at your companies

4)Severe overregulation and asinine HOS rules

5) Atrocious conditions in a lot of places where trucks congregate due to a select few scumbags that skew the entire perception of us. That's a whole other problem in itself but not top 5 IMHO.

4. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    1) HOS rules that penalize you for taking a nap if your tired so they force you to drive on tired or run out of hours "early" because of your nap not being excluded from your base on duty time

2) Not even close to enough approved parking areas for your mandatory 10 hour break.

3) "No trucks in left lane" zones that cause unnecessary (and dangerous) connection in the right 2 lanes.

4) 4 wheelers that A) pass on the right. B) refuse to move from the center lane to the left (when the left is completely clear) so I can move over for on ramp traffic or vehicles stopped on the shoulder.

5) Way to many unnecessary or over restrictive regulations.

5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    First off, who, exactly, are "you and your team"?

+1 on post #3

Where I work, they ask us what the most "cumbersome, annoying, and difficult" aspects of our jobs are, so that they can keep making our jobs cumbersome, annoying and difficult.

6. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Only 1 here.....the fact that I can't use a phone app to switch insurance on/off.

And then maybe the fact that I can't quickly and easily switch from 1 truck to another without insuring both.

I want a spare truck that just sits....but if you have a MC/DOT you are not allowed to simply have a truck sitting and uninsured. It would have to me moved in and out of the wifes name I guess.....seems lame! Maybe I am misunderstanding....

HaulinCars Thanks this.
  7. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    1 my grandmother keeps drinking all my booze
    2 my wife won't get a job
    3 my brother is back in prison
    4 my girlfriend is pregnant
    5 my dog has worms

8. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    I could EASILY be wrong on this but....

Assuming the truck is paid for I don't believe you have to insure it if it is just sitting in the yard. Of course most states require insurance on any vehicle with a current plate so that could be a problem but I'm PRETTY SURE that the FMCSA would not care.

You could contact your insurance company and see if they had a low cost storage policy or something that would allow you to keep the plates current. Then when you need to call on the truck for use a quick call to insurance to activate full coverage.

This is assuming of course that the unit is paid for. If it's financed they (the finance company) are most likely going to want it fully covered.

Just a thought.. (if you want to, and are financially able to, have a spare truck sitting around waiting to be called to duty it might be worth checking into)..

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  9. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Well I would 100% for sure never do this with a truck payment! I don't know how guys even do it.

If I understand correctly, if the truck is in the company name, with a active MC#, then it has to be fully insured....sitting or not.

10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    1) Shippers & receivers who take more than an hour to load or unload a truck. 35 - 45 minutes to unload a dry van is enough time.
    2) More authorized truck parking spaces, especially at truck stops
    3) Enough employees to handle the number of customers in truck stops. Using a cashier to clean the showers while I stand in line waiting is unacceptable.
    4) Better roads
    5) Fuel pumps & Cat scales at truck stops that take your payment card & give you a receipt etc (complete translation, so I can be on my way if I dont need to go inside. Fuel, scale, pay, receipt & drive away
    6) This shoulda been #1 but..... some way to make, or encourage, drivers to NOT block scales & pumps at truck stops.

RockinChair and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Perhaps they should have a quickline where drivers can scan it and bag it like at Walmart?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.