Trucking financing

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by honesttruth, Mar 22, 2021.

1. honesttruth

honesttruth Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Hello, I’m looking to buy my own truck I’ve been driving a little over 2 years and now I’m ready to go off on my own. I have over 25k to put down on a truck and around 10k for maintenance/repairs. I’m looking for something used and have bad credit. I thought about buying a truck for that money out right or financing from a dealer. I have a couple of friends that have bought 30k trucks and have had good luck. What would be your advice. Ps I will not put the 10k maintenance money in the purchase. Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Bad credit is going to be your biggest hurdle. I literally just bought a truck myself and even with a very high nearly perfect score they demanded 25% down. Also 35k is not enough if you dont finance trust me.

I started with a lot more and have burned almost 40k just getting started i.e 20k truck 7k trailer, 3500 tow and repair, $1200 to fix my APU, $1k in fuel just getting around to pick everything up ect.

It can be done but with bad credit if something breaks and you need more then 10k for a repair you may be up #### creek with a rabid half starved alligator as a paddle.

honesttruth Thanks this.
  4. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    If you are making enough money to have that $$$ on hand, you are nuts to buy a truck..

honesttruth Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check these dealers Greatwide uses. Maybe get a truck and not have to lease on to Greatwide.
    Some of these dealers do "no credit check" and some don't require a down payment.
    There's 9 dealerships listed and each has their own finance program.
    • Visit One Of The Dealers Below In Person Or Online And Pick Your Truck.
    • If You Have A Dealer Of Your Own Not On Our List No Problem! We Can Work With Them.
    ~
    Lease Purchase Program | United States | Greatwide Truckload
    https://www.greatwideotr.com/lease-purchase
    At Greatwide We Turn Drivers Into Owner Operators With Our Lease Purchase Program! Good Credit Bad Credit No Problem! Apply Online To Get The Process Started. Visit One Of The Dealers Below In Person Or Online …

6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I would also wonder how or why do you have 35k cash but bad credit?

ChevyCam, Linte_Loco, shanman and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Yoanito

Yoanito Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Dade city
    I’m also looking to buy a new truck. Looking for advices on how much to put the downpayment. I found a truck that’s really good year is 2021. Thank you

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    A fairly new truck better be good.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  9. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    The easiest way to make a million dollars in trucking is to start with 2 million. You might wanna do a little more research on this before jumping off the deep end and as another driver stated grabbing the rabid gator. Regardless of how new your truck is there are a lot of other things you need to consider, and your 10k maint will disappear faster then a large pepperoni pizza at a weight watcher's convention. Do more research around here go to the O/O page if there is one and ask them. I nice fender bender will wipe that Maint fund PDQ, GOOD LUCK and KEEP us Posted

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. honesttruth

honesttruth Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2021
    I’m not looking for a new truck just a starter to get on my feet. I understand there is potential to lose my maint money right away. Right now I’m aiming on just buying one.

11. Adamali21

Adamali21 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2018
    You should buy yourself a truck for 30k just for starters, that’s what I done years ago. Just make sure it’s road ready. In 2013 I bought my first truck for 20k Schneider pumpkin truck with 600k miles ran it to a million miles and then sold it for the price I paid in 2013. Then bought other trucks until Just last year I bought my dream truck. Take your time and do allot of research and I hope the best for you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.