Trucking Insurance for new drivers

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by rscelfo, Aug 27, 2018.

1. rscelfo

rscelfo Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2018
    I am looking to get started hauling cars with my F350 pickup. I dont have experience or a cdl yet. I am looking at a kaufman 3-4 car wedge trailer. I got a quote for 41,000$ as an annual premium by Progressive. I thought it should be more like 15-16,000$ for a first year driver. My question is do you know comercial insurance companies or brokers that are good for first year drivers?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Where in the hell do they get these crazy high numbers from. Nobody could pay that. Why don't they just say we don't write commercial policies.

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Hauling cars, new driver with no experience as a commercial driver, that is right on track. Experienced drivers with spotless CDL hauling cars are being quoted $20-$30k right now. Be happy you got a quote as a startup car hauler, very few companies are writing that risk at the moment, especially for pickup truck/wedge trailer combos.

Kozakvod and Big Road Chris Thank this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Yep, Progressive will quote something like that and drop you right after the first claim

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Insuring a new commercial driver is like insuring a kid with a new driver's license. They are likely to have an accident that the insurance company will lose money on. So they charge all new drivers a high premium in hopes of offsetting their losses.

7. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    41 grand tho ??? Yikes

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    41,000?

Might as well sign your entire property, all your commercial vehicle titles and so on over to Progressive Idiot INC. Let them run the #### thing for 41,000 per year. Maybe to pay for all their silly commercials begging for customers to bring money to them each month.

Ive learned that any company issuing commercials are already sinking under the weight of costs and beg for money to support their failing business. All I have to do is wait a while to learn after they finally are out of business or close up. When Progressive does fail, I'll be certain to link to that report back to here the day they do fail.

HA. Im not that stupid to pay 41 thousand. The most I would pay for any insurance would maybe be 12K at most, in Mississippi of all places. No where else. Jackson isnt that bad but it's awful advantageous to be very cheap to do business in with a commercial vehicle.

TIMPTE 527 Thanks this.
  9. FS Express Transport

FS Express Transport Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    I’m trying to take the same path but have run into the Ins problem...I have called all over and Progressive is the only one writing to new drivers. I was quoted $32k with autos and $26k without autos freight only. The worst part beyond the cost is the payment plan... 1/2 down and the other 1/2 in 30 days... wth why not just ask for the whole thing up front... this is in FL with 1m liability and $150k cargo. I have not called back to ask about being under 26k lbs if the rate would be any less.

10. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    The insurance companies keep statistics where they loose the most.
    No CDL experience wants to buy the equipment and start hauling cars is probably on top of the list.
    There are many treads about insurance on here. Do a quick search and you’ll find some brokers.
    On the other hand $41,000 a year will keep you from hauling cars for $.25 a mile.

11. Atlanticus trucking

Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2018
    I just went through this a month ago about. I got 2 different quotes from progressive through agents. My driver has a perfect driving record, no cdl and is 33. The first place wanted 25k a year. The second was 10k a year.

We quoted a different driver who had an accident within the first year and it was 50k a year. So my guess is you have tickets or an accident or are young. is this the case?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.