trucking school worth it?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by redryan, Feb 9, 2014.

1. redryan

redryan Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Upstate NY
    is going to school and getting a 'degree' and obviously the training worth it?

Seriously, there asking nine grand for a six month part time program.

Im already signed up to start in march, but having some doubts and really hoping im not throwing alot of time and money away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Unfortunately you will be the only one that will be able to answer that...in time.

rabbiporkchop and Drac1985 Thank this.
  4. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    If you want to obtain a CDL and become a truck driver, it is worth it. If not, don't waste your time and money.

Do you want to drive a truck ?

Drac1985 and harlycharly55 Thank this.
  5. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Check with some community colleges in your state and even other states. The community college that I went to charged $1,200 for an 11 week course plus you needed to pay for your physical and drug screen. Non resident is most likely twice as much but that is still much better than the private schools.

rabbiporkchop and jbatmick Thank this.
  6. redryan

redryan Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Upstate NY
    yes, I want to drive a truck because that is the whole reason I signed up to begin with. I just think that is a little pricey for what Im getting for it.
    Is it worth it, for that kind of money i could buy a dump truck and trailer and go down to the dmv and take it.
    Im just hoping that the experience and information I learn will pay off. Kind of a large sum at least for me to waste money on

7. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    It will be harder to get a job unless you can show you graduated from a school. Some insurance companies require it.
    Now if you need a CDL for hauling your own product ( like a dump truck and you are in the sand business ) , a school certificate might not be needed. That is , if you can drive a truck. Looking for a driving job, with no experience,you need a diploma from an accredited school. Community colleges are a good deal for most.There are some companies who will train you, at their expense. You repay them by working for them, and they deduct the tuition over time. Not a very good thing to do, if you have options.
    Good luck.

harlycharly55 Thanks this.
  8. talkinquackoutdoors

talkinquackoutdoors Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's worth it. To me anyway. I'm a 3rd generation driver and I learned a lot by going through a program. I went to N.C. Truck Driver Training School. About a grand for 12 weeks & 384 hours of training.

ncmickey Thanks this.
  9. Minia

Minia Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Chicago
    My license cost me only 365$. i did it on my own and youtube.

10. HauntedSchizo19

HauntedSchizo19 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Southern Tier, New York
    I noticed you're in NYS; I am, too. What school are you looking at, or where is your location in NY - other than upstate? Feel free to PM, if you'd like. There are decent programs that are around $4k-$5k, that I have found, around me anyway. Unfortunately I have not found any community colleges that offer CDL training in NY, but that would be nice. For that, I've only looked around my area.

Best of luck to you!

11. MondoTrucker

MondoTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I would say it is worth it and starter companies will pay a good chunk of your school cost for you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.