Truckload Rates

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by JimmyTwoTimes, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Thought it was 11pm good thing i double checked it was 11am......

86scotty Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    To be fair, it's a chronically understaffed MOS. They're getting a lot of work in Afghanistan on top of that. But between it not being a "cool guy" MOS, and a relatively high GT score requirement on the ASVAB, those dudes are perpetually short.

4. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Are you guys still seeing pretty high rates out there? It was brutal most of the week, but it feels like today it might be starting to cool off a little, but that might be wishful thinking. What are you guys seeing?

5. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Don't know that I'd necessarily call it "brutal" rates, 2018 was way higher. It's back up to around where we were at for a good chunk of 2019 and seems to be holding there. I know that the past three weeks have been the busiest I've been all year, in all honesty. All of my construction stuff is picking up across the board.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Brettj3876 and Truckermania Thank this.
  6. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    As a carrier I’ve quoted what I see fit on about 6 loads this week. 1 was a direct, and the other broker loads. I didn’t get 1 load.

Dale thompson and PPDCT Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    What is your definition of brutal? Paying carriers a lot, not enough loads? Or something else?

8. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Actually 2 were direct and 1 of the responses I got was “you are giving me what brokers are quoting me” lol guess he thought I was going to give him a deal.

9. JimmyTwoTimes

Aug 23, 2019
    We are actually paying higher on some lanes right now than we were this time in 2018. The outbound tender volume across the country is actually way higher right now (see below). Although it does appear to be dropping a bit now. Outbound Tender Data.png

86scotty Thanks this.
  10. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I guess I'd need to see the lanes you're paying higher on, and for what equipment, because that doesn't jive with what I'm seeing.

Regarding Freightwaves and their outbound tender info, I've never really found it to be all that particularly helpful except as a general barometer that working in the space has already told me. Just my thoughts on that, though.

p608, JimmyTwoTimes and Dale thompson Thank this.
  11. JimmyTwoTimes

Aug 23, 2019
    For us we are running at lower margin% on contracted freight just about anywhere in the country, but specifically it is still really difficult out of TX, GA, and strangely enough Chicago is pretty hot right now (usually it is somewhat dead in the summer). We currently run 1100-1200 TLs a week though, so it is sometimes hard to pin down where rates have genuinely gone up, and where it is just circumstantial (we got crappy appointments on a load that drive up the cost, customer gave us the load at the 11th hour so we didn't have a chance to work with our regular carrier, etc).

I both agree and disagree with you on freightwaves. I do agree that often times when freightwaves tells me xzy market is tough my general response tends to be "No S*&T freightwaves, I can tell that by looking at the number of calls required to book a load and the fact that my cost to the truck has gone up 15%".

Where I find it most useful for my group is that I can share the data with a customer that I need to raise rates on. I used to share DAT trend lines with customers when I needed to visually show that the market had adjusted upward, but customers would often focus on the $ amount instead of the trend line. I like that FW shows tender volume and rejections.

One additional use that I like is that it helps me confirm whether or not WE are just struggling out of a particular region, or if it is industry wide.

And brief update on the market, from where I sit it still seems realllllllly tough this week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.