trucks been sitting for 5 years

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by txnewbee, Aug 2, 2012.

1. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    Big OUCH on that head gasket.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    YEAH the price is too much if the head gasket is blown

4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Yeah that head gasket is a head shaker. I love old iron, but something that "needs a head gasket" whether or not that is the factual case, and hasn't run in that long would get maybe $1000 out of me if the rest was clean no rust. That has major resto written all over it, not second truck.
    :(
    Just my 2 cents

5. spacetrucker88

spacetrucker88 Heavy Load Member

you are wrong malone jones motor mercer landstar are just a few of the carriers that would sign it on if it could pass their inspection

aiwiron Thanks this.
  6. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    The seller really needs to drop his price. Water has been dumped in on the pistons! 5 years ago. He has a 28 yeae old truck that may very well need a full in frame! May get by replacing one it two holes. Easy engines to work on but head gasket and sitting, offer a grand!

7. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    I wouldn't touch it, I know a truck that was parked for a few years, everything with rubber had to be replaced, tyres, hoses, seals etc etc, it broke down every single day, something stupid like a water hose would break, air and oil seals would fail, I think it could break your heart!

8. txnewbee

txnewbee Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2012
    The seller would only go down to 4500 and id rather look for another oldie but goodie

9. 59BROCKWAY

59BROCKWAY Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Northeast
    Not sure what your use will be for this truck? Why do you want this particular truck so bad? Just for starters diesel fuel can last for many years as long as no water got into the tank or other contamination. Older trucks have no computers and are easier to work on , they also tend to drink more fuel, but can run like a raped ape too! The looks of a w900l is basically the same as new for the most part. In the future if you have a way to charge the system with air for the bags and the brakes , check for major air leaks , clean the fuel filter bowls and fill with diesel , then prime her fuel pump and pull or push start her. If it has a bad head gasket it's. Dry possible the liners are perforated and water sitting in any engine for any prolonged period with winter and summer months is one truck I would say pass on. Of course if you can persuade him to pay you the $4500.00 I would really think about it good and hard. There are way too many better trucks out there that run. Maybe you like old trucks. Have you ever considered an old 359 or 379. ? Of course the Kenworths are great too! Good luck kiddo.

10. txnewbee

txnewbee Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2012
    I just like old trucks and the fact they are simpler to work on is something I want to use as a base to learn to work on trucks there is a running working 1977 mack day cab for sale with a belly dump but im trying to convince the man he needs a spare trailer but not truck haha

11. 59BROCKWAY

59BROCKWAY Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Northeast
    There's nothing wrong with an old truck, there are many 30 year old trucks on the road doing the job that they were intended to do, and with no downtime that many of the new trucks have today. Many are still used in lowboy applications where rugged double frames with a for example,chalmers or Hendrickson suspension is being used. It's amazing how much a new truck can cost today. But inflation and basically what people wages are along with the manufacturer trying to make a profit. Very hard to find a new truck that's reasonable. Best to buy a good used older truck and use it and down the road do an inframe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.