true scoop on Stevens

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by NYTXN, Jun 9, 2010.

1. hepster56

hepster56 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2011
    erlanger ky
    Well here is mt story ive been driving for a local co 14 yrs. im wanting to get my cdl i drive 24 ftr no cdl but im home every night. Ive always wanted to drive semi. I have some experience i used to b a yard spotter for 10 yrs at another co and drove a litttle on the road with a chuffer license My traffic mgr wouldnt granderfather me in so i never got my cdl. My boys were little at the time i was excepted at schinder back in 96 but decided to stay home the boys r all grown now and my wife and i dont get along anymore. im 55 and i feel its time to do it. But i dont know if i want to kinda start over the co i work for has no benfits but they treat me very good and that means a lot. Plus i would be taking a pay cut. I hear i would make around 30 but im going to make about 40 this year.My dad was over road trkr and its in my blood so if any body can give me some insight about this i would appericate it sorry for the length.Ive donea lot of talking to drivers and most tell me no but they must like it or they wouldnt do it and yes i have a great mvr and very healthy person.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    You really don't want to get into OTR trucking if you're already having problems at home. This job exasperates them 10 fold.

4. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

A lot has changed since 1996 and what you wrote does makes it sound like you're looking for a job and haven't got a good idea what you want to do. Your statements "...don't know if I want to kinda start over," "my wife and I don't get along anymore," and "I would be taking a pay cut," will put you in a bad place as a first-year OTR driver. I would say move out, rent an apartment, and stay with your local job while you figure out what you want to do with the last part of your life.

5. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I'm going to take another tack on this one.
    So what will improve your relationship with your wife? You're already home every night, so maybe some time away will help.
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
    Or it will bring about the inevitible summation.
    You are dying to try OTR.
    So you make less money?
    I'm a strong believer in the axiom, "When you get older you don't regret the things you did, you regret those you didn't do."
    Do you want to be 60 and wondering if you would have liked it?
    I say, go for it.

6. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    think about the bucket list...
    At times we all need to shake things up a little, or a lot, and do what we have always wanted to do...
    Looking for a job, or are you looking to do something you enjoy doing, and get paid to do it too!!!!

7. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    My wife and I get along tons better now that we are not home bugging each other all the time :p

8. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Learned that long ago.
    Now if I'm home more than a week, she says, "Don't you have a load that needs to go somehwere?"

Works for us anyway.

Corporal_Clegg and DenaliDad Thank this.
  9. DenaliDad

My plan: Send the girls keys to the house in case they want to use it for a getaway. Put thermostat at 50° and Heat to avoid coming home to an indoor swimming pool or ice rink. Put lights on random timers to fool the idiot house breakers that live in the area--and trust me, they are idiots. Leave and don't return for...well, however long.

10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hopefully there is someone nearby where you live that is trustworthy. It's a good idea to have a friend or relative with a key to the house for emergencies. And to check on it periodically. Also a good idea to have a vehicle of some kind parked in the driveway.

11. DenaliDad

It's called "hometime" in trucker lingo. :biggrin_2552:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.