Trying the Pre-Plan experiment

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by trucking.shine, Oct 16, 2017.

1. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    @nightgunner you're probably right. I have to focus on finding the best paying lanes and stick with them... The problem I see with that is that since we're based in Miami, I don't have a choice of coming back and heading out again... So the first couple of loads from my trucks trip will certainly be bad loads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Quick question for you: When you're hunting freight, are you relying strictly on posted rates?

4. trucking.shine

Jun 19, 2017
    Obviously, I call to check does rate... But I rely on what the brokers are offering... Maybe I need to get better at negotiation :(:(:(

5. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    That does help. Just want to make sure you're looking at the whole picture. If I've got a rate posted for instance, that doesn't necessarily mean that that's the only rate I'm offering, or that I don't have flexibilty. I like to have a starting point on a negotiation.

trucking.shine Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  7. trucking.shine

Jun 19, 2017
    Hey guys! I asked this in another thread but thought it makes sense in this conversation.
    Do you find it possible to live only on LoadBoards? I haven't been able to close a customer yet, so I keep heading to LoadBoards to find my freights. But it's hard to find good (or great) paying loads every time especially if you try to plan far ahead of your calendar.
    Creating good relationships with Brokers helps if but if I still depend on Boards, can anyone do a profitable business?

8. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Do you know why Microsoft beat IBM in the computer market back in the day?

IBM was (is) a behemoth, and MS was nimble. You are supposed to be nimble (& smarter)

Planning ahead that "far" as you are trying to, is only doable if you can land contracts. Right now, polish your negotiations skills (I know I am) and break down your cost as precisely as possible, so you know WHAT to take, WHEN, and WHERE.

Sometimes you may have to do a loss-run/break-even run, to re-position, but KNOW WHY you are doing this, and if possible, factor that into the next load's pricing.

disclaimer: This is coming from someone who is not a "classic" trucker...take it for what's its worth.

izifaddag and trucking.shine Thank this.
  9. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Plenty of folks out there making a decent living on the spot market. I think the biggest issue you're running into here is your pre-planning. You're committing your drivers too far in advance to rates that aren't that great. You're better served by lining up loads around the time your driver is arriving. There's certainly some anxiety, here, but there's two things this is going to do for you: You're not going to fall off a load two steps out because the middle load blew up, and you're going to have more time to find the better paying freight instead of committing to something that's not great because it fits your plan.

10. trucking.shine

Jun 19, 2017
    Thanks @PPDCT that's undoubtedly one of the findings of this experiment I'm running. I had a hypothesis that if I preplan a lot of loads in advanced, I could use the extra time to deal with the operations and also don't have the problem of leaving my drivers without loads the minute they're empty. But so far what you say is true, and my rates are being affected in part by that.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  11. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    There's a reason DAT's triangular load planning is looked down upon by experienced players.

It's great in theory (hence your hypothesizing), but in actuality, kinda hard to do.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.