Trying to Decide Between Two Companies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KayFox, Jan 5, 2022.

1. KayFox

KayFox Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2021
    I'm trying to decide which companies offer to accept. Has anyone heard of Leonard's Express, or Cool Mountain Transport (formerly known as Off spec Logistics). They both run Reefer. Both are pretty similar in pay. However Cool Mountain says they'll pay 50% of your medical insurance. My only hang up on them, is that they are a small fleet and I can't find many reviews on them. Leonard's Express has been around awhile and seems to have a well established reputation. What would make you lean towards one company over another?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @xlsdraw drives for Leonard's Express.

Speed_Drums, KayFox and xlsdraw Thank this.
  4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Most Companies pay AT LEAST 50% of your Medical Insurance. I would go with the larger company.

Chinatown and KayFox Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I would avoid reefer unless it's dedicated drop and hook. Customers will waste a whole day and many trucking companies forget to pay detention pay even though they advertise it in ads.

silverspur and 201 Thank this.
  6. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    I'm more content with Leonard's Express than I have been at any other company.

I like the long load lengths. Good equipment.
    And I have an excellent seasoned dispatcher/planner.

7. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    There is your answer right there^^^

8. KayFox

KayFox Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2021
    What part of the country are you driving? How's the performance bonus? And how many miles do you average a week? Thanks! I start Monday northwestern division.

9. xlsdraw

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    I'm OTR. I live in Florida and almost always pull a load from Florida to Minnesota. My dispatcher is in Minnesota and uses me to run his Minnesota freight.

From Minnesota, I almost always run to Washington or Oregon. Then from the PNW, I either run back to Florida, the East coast, or Midwest.

I average about 3,400 miles a week and my average load length is near 2,000 miles.

Put Leonard's in the search bar and you'll find my Leonard's thread.

I was at our Caldwell, Idaho terminal Wednesday. My second time there. It was Holman until Leonard's bought them early last year.

So combined with what Leonard's already had in the PNW, they now have a significant presence in the PNW market. You'll do fine.

They run almost all Peterbilts out of the Idaho terminal because that's what Holman had.

Talking to their drivers, some of them pick up outbound loads in the yard, that originated in Washington or Oregon. And they run them from the yard down to Texas and Arkansas.

So I guess they have some drivers that must keep bouncing back and forth over the mountains from Washington and Oregon to the Idaho terminal.

I'm not on a performance system. I'm strictly by the mile, plus safety and fuel bonuses.

Leonard's is a very diversified company. There are many different kinds of driving opportunities here.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  10. xlsdraw

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Congratulations

11. Hottub

Hottub Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2008
    What is your hometime like....Living in Florida?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.