Trying to Learn

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Isaacs, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Isaacs

Isaacs Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2020
    I'm new here and trying to learn more about the trucking business. I am interested in freight dispatching, but don't know enough about it to dive in just yet. Am I in the right place to ask questions about this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I mean, you're certainly in the right internet forums. I'd encourage, instead of just... asking the questions that have probably been asked dozens, if not hundreds of times- that you use the search bar at the top. There's a *ton* of information available.

Isaacs, DUNE-T, kemosabi49 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Isaacs

Isaacs Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2020
    Thank you very much. I will keep searching.

d o g Thanks this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Visit the forum daily for about a year and read all the posts. Especially the owner operator forum and experienced trucker forum. If your still interested after that period of time then maybe it’s worth giving it a shot.

Most get bored and disappear after a week.

Isaacs, d o g and PPDCT Thank this.
  6. Isaacs

Isaacs Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2020
    Thank you very much. I think that's good advice. I don't think I will get bored with it. I have been researching and trying to learn more, but just figuring out the start up and how to make safe, sensible contacts has been challenging. If you have any advice on that I would be grateful.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you somehow are a Dispatcher in the future... you will be given a list of drivers. Say 40 of them.

Whoo hoo. Now what?

You will learn to know which of the 40 are the top dogs. Those are the ones you keep in a glass box and smash in case of existential emergency loads that must be on time no matter what.

You will have many average drivers on your list.

The ones that will make you experience heartache and tears are the bottom drivers. They need hand holding, mothering, ### kicking, told what to do step by tiny step, issued money all the day and so on. Taking you away from actual dispatching.

You will retire from dispatching when you get totally sick of asking 4 questions.

Where you at?

You empty?

Why not?

Why the hell not?

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.