Trying to remove u joint from yoke

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Shotgun94, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    I don’t have a puller tool but can I get this off without it? Any recommendations? Thanks guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    on a cars u-joint, i'd be able to get into the web with a flat punch or chisel, and bang on the web until the cup came out of one side of the yoke, .

if i can get some pics from the internet, i will post what i am saying

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    this is one way, but NOT the way i did it

Upinsmoke and PE_T Thank this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I've used a hydraulic jack as a press.

If you're replacing the U-joint.
    Cut the body so you can remove 1 cup at a time.
    I used a torch, sawzall or cutting disc on a grinder might work.
    Good luck.

Dino soar, Upinsmoke and PE_T Thank this.
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Next best option is to torch the cross out and drive the caps in instead of out. Depending on the joint type you may have to knock the plates off the old cap to drive them through.

Next best thing is to just take it into a driveline shop and have them redone. A rebalancing wouldnt hurt a thing anyhow and is the tride and true smooth finish.

Dino soar, PE_T and daf105paccar Thank this.
  7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I usually do it on the truck... Lay under truck with 5 pound sledge, with the cross aligned so one set of cups is straight up and down. Then hit the yoke upward right beside the bottom cup, keep doing this and the bottom cup will start to walk out. Once one cup is out the drive line can be separated from the u joint and second cup can be pounded out with a punch.

To get the other side of the cross out I will stop and rotate the drive line 90 degrees when the first of the 4 cups is about 2/3 of the way out, and repeat the upward pounding process until a cup on the second cross comes out.

Thus is the point when I seperate the drive line from the u joint. Then the partially removed cup will come out with a few good smacks on the u joint itself. The final 2 cups can them be pounded out with a hammer and punch.

BoxCarKidd and Hulld Thank this.
  8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I also usually do it on the truck.
    Remove cap bolts and place a block of wood on the ground with a hydraulic jack against the yoke and push it out.
    Also I place a jack under the rear end and block the front wheels and release the brakes so I can spin the driveshaft 180 degrees and repeat the process with the hydraulic jack.

BoxCarKidd, Dino soar, baha and 2 others Thank this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    When they do not come out like this I have put a hydraulic jack under the welded seam on the yoke. Yes jack is on blocks. Get some pressure on it and tap on the joke next to the top u-joint cap. If you have a lot of pressure it can be rather explosive when it comes out. If not on flat ground chalk the front wheels.
    A little heat does not hurt, that's on the yoke next to the top cap also.

10. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    I’m going to take another go at it. See if My jack can help me.
    I may just buy the press tool.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Press tool is slick. I like the Tiger Tool one myself.

I've had a few that were so bad the trunion blew clean thru the end of the cap and blew the plate off. I hate torching the u-joints out. Makes a big mess with burning grease. But you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

BoxCarKidd, ODR, Dino soar and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.