Tug test failure

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by chaszo, Mar 20, 2012.

1. chaszo

chaszo Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2012
    clermont florida
    I backed up to a 53' raised the trailer a couple of feet and did the tug test. The trailer wasn't connected and the cab began to come from under it. I backed up again and did another test and the trailer caught the cab and I didn't move so I then throttled the cab twice hard and went no where. After I left the yard about a mile down the road the trailer came off and demolished the landing gear and putting a hole in the trailer floor. after a mechanic looked at it I was told operator error. Does anyone know why this would happen.Why would the tug test show I was connected and then fail?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Did you check the height of the fifth wheel after you hooked the trailer. Did you ensure the jaws were around the kingpin? I'm so paranoid about this, that this is the first thing i do after I hook. Make sure the upper fifth wheel has no gap while on the fifth wheel and the jaws are closed securely around the kingpin. Takes 2 seconds.

flood, rank, Dan.S and 21 others Thank this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Obviously, you weren't connected properly. Either you "overrode" the kingpin, which means kingpin went partially over the plate instead of firmly locking in, or the jaws weren't properly locked around the kingpin. Either way, IF you'd looked, you would have seen it. You must do a visual any time you hook, to keep this from happening. Be professional......only takes a couple seconds

flood, rank, Dan.S and 15 others Thank this.
  5. allniter

allniter Medium Load Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I 10 FL exit 70
    I take it a step further, I take my flashlight under to check, sometimes it's dark under there, even in daylight and difficult to see the kingpin properly.
    Is there a name for the slot in the fifth wheel that the kingpin slides into to lock?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    rank, Dan.S, Woodys and 8 others Thank this.
  6. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Ever thought to simply look?

flood, rank, Dan.S and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Velox

Velox Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Ohio
    Always look underneath and make sure the jaws have closed completely and everything is sitting the way it should.

rank, Dan.S and SlowPoke44magnum Thank this.
  8. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    Not to sounds mean but where did you get you're training, you don't seem to have terms down that is used by most drivers out there, I hope you meant tractor and not cab, I ask cause the last Guy I heard use those terms paid off a DMV Guy and ended up wrecking cause he should have never been behind the wheel. Just asking.

Pup97 Thanks this.
  9. TNPRIDE1066

TNPRIDE1066 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2009
    TRENTON ,GA
    That basically sums it up G.O.A.L, Takes less than a min to make 100% sure... Now you got a hit on your dac possibly for not doing a proper p.t.i., damaging company equipment, as well as possible dismissal, or getting charged for repairs. If you stay in this industry consider this one of the most valuable lessons to learn. WHEN IN DOUBT... CHECK IT OUT!!! I hope for your sake none of the above happens to you. But pay attention to detail is the best way to cya!!! Period....

10. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    but again i put myself out of service for this, better too be safe then sorry , for this, why , my kingpin locked, checked with flashlight , turn a few times in yard , something was knawing at my feelings, so i got up too the fuel island at terminal , went back under and look at kingpin was wide opean , i backed up so slowly , a old trick my dad taught me with the landing gears about a 1/4 too 2 inchs off the ground back straight and lucky there was a hole too back straight into , drop trl , pull out and could not see anything, but would not close, took over to the shop , they had a rig on forklift for kingpin, they ram it hard three times , still wouldnt close, it was broke somewere, so there went my night and day , then they went to the records on the truck, , they said this truck was in a jackknife, i kinda thought so , with new flarings and sleeper cab corners, the fith wheel was twisted and wouldnt close and or work right, i just got lucky he said it closed the first time , then as i driving thru the yard it twisted opean he said, then ended up scrapping it and put a new holland on it , then i was good too go after 3 days of sitting .:biggrin_25513: this was on century freightshaker 06 was them a problem them years

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    x1Heavy, Wargames and RickG Thank this.
  11. TNPRIDE1066

TNPRIDE1066 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2009
    TRENTON ,GA
    EVERETT, WHEW YOU GOT LUCKY ON THAT ONE MAN:biggrin_25525:.BUT THEN AGAIN THAT SHOWS THAT THE SHOP DIDNT DO THEIR JOBS COMPLETELY.. GOOD CATCH ON YOUR PART :biggrin_25514:

x1Heavy, Southpaw7391 and Everett Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.