Tulsa terminal parking question

Discussion in 'Melton' started by Johnjohn, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Johnjohn

Johnjohn Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2013
    OK
    Hello,
    I start at melton soon and live about 10 miles from the Tulsa yard. The girl in the office says that my 4 wheeler will be safe parked in the yard while I am working. But I drove by the yard and was able to drive my car around snooping in a suspicious manner and I saw no security and no one asked just what the hell I was up to. I do plan on driving my old beater pickup there, it is not a Rolls but I still don't want it messed with. What do you guys think? The GF dropping me off ain't gonna work either.
    It would be nice if I could drop the trailer and bobtail home, I do have room for the tractor at my house but not a trailer too. Does anyone else do this?
    I will feel things out at orientation but I thought I may get an answer here.
    thanks!
    and merry xmas!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    You asked the girl in the office and she told you it was safe. You do not even work there yet. What is it you expect from them?

4. Johnjohn

Sep 2, 2013
    OK
    I got what I expected from her, thanks. Now I am asking drivers if they have any tangible input on the matter. Do you have any tangible input on the matter?

5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    He probably expects to not have to worry about his personal vehicle sitting on company property while he's out making Melton money. Seems perfectly reasonable to me, actually. We, as drivers, are held accountable for every scratch, ding, and spec of dirt on company equipment. But the companies (well, many of them) show zero concern for the driver's equipment parked on company property. Indeed, some carriers I've heard of force drivers to sign waiver forms releasing the carrier from responsibility if the driver's personal vehicle is damaged, broken into, or stolen while parked on company property.

This is why I won't work for a carrier that doesn't let me take my truck home. If you trust me to roll down the highway with 40,000+ in freight, you can trust me to run to the house. Or, on the other hand, you can make some effort to provide a level of security for my personal vehicle while parked on your property. Pick.

drvrtech77 and Johnjohn Thank this.
  6. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    Nope, no tangible input. Just an observation. I think you are going to go far in this business. Have fun.

7. Johnjohn

Sep 2, 2013
    OK
    Thank you sir, I'll give your thoughts the respect they deserve!

8. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    I never leave my pov on anyones yard.
    have my son drop me off or pick me up

Johnjohn Thanks this.
  9. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'd say just have someone pick you up or take the truck home. I've seen too many cars hit at yards (not Tulsa, impossible since trucks cant get into the lot)..well, nevermind I wont say impossible, but improbable...

I would drop my trailer at the drop yard in Houston and park my truck right in my driveway.

10. Johnjohn

Sep 2, 2013
    OK
    Cool, that's what I am hoping to do. The office folks kinda poo-pooed the idea when I brought it up, so I didn't push the issue with them. But I will see for myself how things work after I start. If I can't bobtail home it isn't the end of the world.
    thanks!

11. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Like I said, you live close. Just have someone come get you. I wouldnt leave my vehicle at a yard. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.