Tuning Center load Antenna

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by dealer374, Jun 25, 2017.

1. dealer374

dealer374 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2017
    I just installed a Cobra HGA7000 with a heavy duty mount and heavy duty spring. I bought a good quality cable and a have a Cobra 29LTD radio. I have a range of less than 1 mile and I usually have to crank the RF gain pretty high, but when I do they come in clear.

-On ch. 40 my SWR started at 3 maybe a dash more, it was high > On ch. 1 my SWR started at 2
    -I cut about 1" off the top whip (has 10" mast on bottom)
    -On ch. 40 my SWR went to right about maybe a dash less > On ch. my SWR went to about 1.75

So it went down a little as it should. I've read conflicting things with no real feedback from OP's on what they did regarding adding a spring.
    Sooooo my question is do I really need to cut the approx. length of the spring off the antenna? The coil is kinda sitting just below/almost at the cab guard so would cutting the mast to drop it between the roof line and cab guard help? Or should I just keep cutting the whip until it stops getting better? Help, what do y'all recommend?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I just googled it and it looks like a copy of a Wilson 2000. I would take the spring out and see where the SWR goes. I wouldn't think you'd need a spring.

Or better yet, take it to a CB shop that has an antenna analyzer and have them tune it.

rabbiporkchop and bored silly Thank this.
  4. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    Spring length will affect SWR but not always in direct proportion. If your swr is moving in the right direction remove a bit less at a time so you don't take off to much. The antenna moving back and forth with the spring may affect your swr when you are riding.

5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Lengthening or shortening the shaft of the antenna should have minimal effect on the tune of the antenna. Here is a prime example. After adding a 4ft shaft to the bottom of this antenna I only had to subtract an inch of stinger. If adding a 3 inch Spring to the bottom of your antenna makes a drastic difference in SWR, then you got other issues that need to be looked at like your mounting location on the vehicle itself, or possibly ground problems.
    [​IMG]
    I'd be curious to see a picture of this "Center load" antenna since very few people actually make such a thing.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  6. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    I've been seeing a few around lately. Mostly on 4 wheelers though. Talked to a guy in a Dodge truck last week for a good while and since i wasnt in any hurry we started opening distance between us. He was clear as a bell at 12 miles when he exited and i held him for another 5 minutes or so after.

7. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    No Micky D's drive thru breakfast with that truck, Im guessing it works pretty good.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Personally I think it's kind of ridiculous for the roof of that truck but it was actually made for a Cascadia or T600

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  9. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Sure dont have much margin of error for hitting things, at least with a Wilson mag mount if something is hit the whip wont break, it may get a slight bend ( happened to me when I hit a low tree limb) but it wont damage coil.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I wouldn't worry about margins of error on a tractor-trailer with a heavy duty mounting bracket on heavy duty mirror arms with an antenna with a flexible shaft, but I would definitely worry about it on a $65,000 pickup truck with a tall top-heavy antenna mounted on thin sheet metal on the roof.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What are those 5 inch stacks for a cummins?

Isn't that a joke?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.