Turbo Wing's Effect On Milage?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Disturbed Canuck, Apr 10, 2009.

1. badbowti

badbowti Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I own one of these wings. I used it on my suburban while I towed a over sized snowmobile trailer. I will tell you that while regular towing fuel millage was very poor to begin with, the Turbo wing really helped the millage. I did get 2-3 mpg back(deplending on wind)

What many people have not told you is that the wing really added stability to the trailer/truck while in any windy situation plus it really lessened the over-all load thus giving you more power. This way you are not fighting the wind with HP, this is where your fuel saving comes from. I can honestly say that if you have a taller trailer behind you, that you WILL NEED ONE OF THESE.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. forner

forner Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2009
    okc ok
    04 kw 900 86 studio sleeper with turbo wing...I pull double drop right now my load is at least 15 ft from the sleeper and I think it's pointless for me to have I will take 650 for it in case somebody wants it ...

4. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Dang, too bad they do not make them for cars. My Dodge Caliber Station Wagon would good with one on the roof.

KH

5. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    There's a woman around here with a turbo wing on her pickup. She says it helps her fuel mileage when towing a horse trailer. I laugh every time I see it because she rarely actually towing a trailer. So even if it gives her 5 more MPG when towing, she's pushing all that extra air the other 95% of the time. But logic is foreign to horse people, proof is owning hay burners in the first place.:biggrin_2559:

Big Duker Thanks this.
  6. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Helped my 2000 peterbuilt (pulling a dry van or reefer) by about .4 mpg or just a bit less. Over time it adds up.....

TXTRUCKER1125 Thanks this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I'm sure you could have one custom made. Just go to a metal shop and have them fabricate one. Preferably cast iron, with 6 inch I beam supports! That should really help!:biggrin_2559:

8. forner

forner Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2009
    okc ok
    my wing is off of my truck on my mbn 525 mpg went from 5 to 6.1 driving 68 or 70 ...i pull double drop so no reason for wing...

9. richyrich24

richyrich24 Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2010
    hey guys, well my dad drives an 03 freightliner coronado mid roof. He wants to save on fuel cause his engine is a c-15 catterpilar 550. so you all know how much those things burn. so my question is if it will help or no? and also where can i get one for cheap there hard to find. THANKS.

10. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    If is 550 is an MBN serial number prefix I'd have the ECM re-flashed before I bought a wing. Fuel mileage and performance can be helped if not fixed without drilling any holes.

11. TruckerOsborne

TruckerOsborne Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I have a 08 Pete 389 (replacement for the 379) with a 63" Flat Sleeper running a Cat 625HP, 18spd, and 336 Rears pulling a heavy 53' Van. Before the Chicken Wing I was getting 4.3 - 4.5 MPG at 65 MPH. Since I installed the wing the absolute worst MPG has been 5.6 at the same speeds with an average over 6 MPG. They work! I had one on a KW in 1990 and it worked then also pulling a reefer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.