Turn Running Lights Off, why?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by AM14, Jan 25, 2017.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I remember one place they had this same notice. But below it they had a picture of a burned up dock bumper pad [at their location] where the top of the dock pad caught fire and they determined it was because of the lights on the trailer. So, no more lights on while backed into a dock door.

I suspect that if they went to the trouble to have all these signs made, they themselves have been a victim of this phenomenon, as well.

AM14 and ncmickey Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    I didn't get the impression that they wouldn't allow you to have your lights on while backing. Just that they wanted you to shut them off once docked.

AM14 and ncmickey Thank this.
  4. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

.... ive never had bugs attack my sugar tanker, chocolate tanker while the lights are on. Were talking about red and amber here.

Unless the loading rack is dark 24/7, your 12-20 running lights aint attracting nobody but the guy who likes your new tailight. So much so, he takes it because its purty.

Thats why food company have the gigantor bug zappers. For their 3000 yellow, bug attracting lights. Not yours.

SingingWolf and AM14 Thank this.
  5. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    I saw the same thing. The sign and a picture of a burned up dock 'cushion?' and scorched building....Don't know if it's the same place... cause I can't remember where it happened to be....

AM14 Thanks this.
  6. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Yea I only haul food service paper and this was the first I'd seen a sign like that. Most of those places I bet there's more bugs inside than out. I probably should have put two and two together regarding the potential fire hazard considering the sign is right next to the dock pad. Oh well, I'll be smart tomorrow.

ncmickey Thanks this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm wanting to say Butler Meats, Harmony, PA?

ncmickey Thanks this.
  8. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    That's not where I was (cause I have never been there) .... but like I said, I can't remember where it was... so who knows... lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.