Turn the Key, Only A Single Click??

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by RTR, May 28, 2020.

1. RTR

RTR Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Alabama
    Need some advice.
    07 T600
    Cat C-15

Parked my trucked a month ago.

Went to crank it and all I got was a single click from the starter solenoid in the battery box.

Replaced it still nothing but a single click..

Ran APU every week to keep batteries built up.

Tried to jump it off on the solenoid in the battery box, only little spark and Truck didn't even try to crank.

Went to the starter and jumped it right there and it turned over 3 times and fired right up.

Ran it for 15 minutes, shut it off, turned the key and a single click again on the starter solenoid in the battery box??

Any advice and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Sounds like low crank amps on one of your batteries. Have them tested.

4. RTR

RTR Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Alabama
    Not a mechanic or even close but if I could jump it off at the starter wouldn't that eliminate that?

lwlevens and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Sounds like a bad connection or a bad wire, between battery box and starter. Otherwise it would have cranked when jumping at batteries. Maybe it’s the selinoid in battery box. Maybe a bad connection or wire, at ignition. I’d start with battery/selinoid connections, before replacing selinoid.I doubt it’s the ignition, since it’s not exposed to the elements. I’m just guessing.

lwlevens Thanks this.
  6. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
    Not 100% sure. All i know is i had the same issue years back and i took batteries off and had them tested. One had really low crankIng amps. Replaced all 3 with 60$ refurbished batteries and it was an immediate fix. That was actually 2 years ago and ive only had to replace one of those 3 so far.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
    My truck would not jump at batteries either. Low crank amps. Im not a battery guru by no means, just speak from personal experience.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m no good at electrical, myself. Makes sense though, since power gets lost through the cables. My Dads Company Trucks would always go dead, while on hometime. I tried to jump a brand new one with my Dodge Colt, nothing. I hit it straight to the starter. Fired right up. Dad thought I was a Genius! Lol. I’ve done it to my Truck a few times, when the selinoid was bad, it made a funny noise afterwards, but eventually went away. I hear it’s a good way to fry a starter, gets it too hot. I believe it.

Muddydog79 and lwlevens Thank this.
  9. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    A single click usually means one of two things.

1. The solenoid has sufficient voltage and current to pull in but the copper contact or plunger inside is worn away from arcing and wont carry enough current to engage the starter motor.

2. The solenoid is internally good but the control voltage is insufficient to fully pull the iron core plunger in far enough to engage the plunger or wiper.. Basically to connect the big lugs like when you "jump" it with a screwdriver. Thats all a solenoid does really.

This is often a failure in the ground side of the control circuit, that is the small coil that makes the magnetism to pull in the plunger.

Since your solenoid is new we will assume it is not scenario 1. Since it clicks when you turn the key we know the key switch works and voltage is getting to the solenoid but maybe not enough. If the ground circuit is done by mounting to metal then corrosion on the ground circuit might be the issue. Take a jumper cable. Chomp the solenoid metal body and make a direct connection to the battery negative post.

If that fixes it clean up your grounds or add a direct ground wire. If it does not, and direct screwdriver lug jumping did not crank the starter motor, it usually means youve worn the brushes out of the starter motor. Since yours cranks full speed with a jump we know its not the starter motor or the batteries. It is a mechanical or wiring issue in the switching portion of the starter which falls under the solenoids department.

10. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Did you check the battery connection for corrosion? Simple stuff like that usually ends up being the problem.

11. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Start by buying a small set of wire brushes at auto parts store, start with neg. batt. cables. and take all of them off and clean them, then take off pos. cables to clean them , take off wires at sol. in batt. box to clean them, you can buy buy a batt. tester and ck. them with all cables off, if any show bad buy all new batt. not just one?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.