1. Quentin

Quentin Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2013
    A lot of trucks these days come with wall mounts for TVs in the sleeper. There are even companies that provide a pre-installed TV in all their trucks (such as the one I'm driving for. We also get a blu-ray player!)

The problem is, bouncing and vibration (don't you love poorly maintained roads?) tends to cause the back shell of the TV to break around the mount over time. My current truck is on its third TV because of this.

Does anyone know where to find reasonably priced TVs with a reinforced casing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    Don't mount it when your moving. I have a wall bracket that i can remove the flat screen from.

4. Quentin

Quentin Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Heh. It's already on the wall mount before they give us the truck, and I'd rather not have them come asking questions when the shop grabs the truck for a service.

Easier to tell the shop manager about a TV with a reinforced shell so they don't have to go through 3-4 TVs with each truck.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We purchased a television made specifcally for trucking off either a 12 volt or a 120 volt system with a included VCR, this was in 1998 on sale at 200 dollars in Ann Arbor at the truckstop there. That television rode through 9-11 (Producing the most Bass during the live tower falling from within WTC7's main street stairwell as one fell in real time TV. It hurt the speakers.

That Television had a two inch little strap on it across the top in addition to a specifically built compartment designed by Freightliner in the sleeper to the right in the 2001 century on top of the cabinet. One of them anyway. Antennas was part of the truck factory by coax into the television. For three weeks after 9-11 24/7 anywhere we never lost a channel. Normally we can run say 60 miles roughly and a channel fades out of range. But for those three weeks everything was broadcasting at 20 mile ranges all over east of the Mississippi. We lost nothing on it.

Just two months ago we finally disposed of it. It finally lost some of it's buttons sheer wear and tear. Its rode about a million miles and continued to work for almost or just about 20 more years after purchase via dvd player etc.

I know nothing about modern flatpanels other than we purchased a chinese LG 98 dollar 32 inch screen this year on sale to replace that. A mount was available to be bought for house mounting in walls. But we prefer to use stands.

I think if we tried to put that into the Century or later model truck with a sufficient cabinet top shelf it will require that same 2 inch mini strap across the top side to side and something to hold the front to back impacts (Side to side rocking of truck)

That is all the thoughts I have here. It's a little amazing that my brand new 2007 era 1000 dollar pawnshop purchase at a couple hundred of a vizio 32 inch which is a monster compared to the current 2018 little 32 incher from LG it's amazing what technology can do.

But I will tell and caution you that trucking can inflict forces enough to hurt, abuse or shake, rattle and roll at times. These fine electronics. If at all possible purchase them solid state. Not plasma or anything fancy. (Plasma is a gaseous state which could be shaken and stirred by forces)

If you are running modern new 2018 trucks that have a mount, I strongly suggest buying a basic monitor type situation that will fit that mount and not any larger. Larger means heavier and if you hit a bad bridge with a 55 inch monster costing 5000 dollars you just lost it. (I know you will not fit a 55 inch inside a company condo sleeper but you follow my theory...)

If at all possible find a filter that fits over your screen to filter blue light emitting led etc. Blue lighting is the single most destructive force against your mind and body visually for purposes of sleeping ability when you need to.

Google F.lux and download that to your smart phone and or computer and experiment for yourself at local sunset just how well you can reduce eyestrain and feel better and not so "Coffee up" or cranked up when it's time to sleep.

I hope these thoughts help.

6. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I put some loops and Reid a short loop of rope to the back of 40 inch tv. I hand it from the vent at the end of the bed when I am in the bunk or move it and hang it on the back wall when I am in my backwards facing Barco Lounger in the cab.

Moving it lies face down on the bed. Some of the holes I have hit up here in Michigan would ripped it off a mount in no time.

7. Quentin

Quentin Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2013
    @x1Heavy regarding your comment on blue light: if you wear glasses there's a coating you can get on your glasses to block that now. They're learning that the blue light also contributes to macular degeneration.

My company mounts 24" flatscreens to the factory installed wallmounts in every truck. I'm hoping someone has an answer or idea on ways to save them a bit of money on replacing TVs by finding a way to keep them from breaking. :)

The plastic back keeps breaking around the top of the mount due to vibration/potholes/etc.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Maybe shaved engine mount rubber on the mount. It's drastic and in my bag of tricks. It may stay in place or not... I would find a non dried out engine mount and start chopping if it has a slightly smaller hole to mounting holes. Install the rubber like washers. That should soak the shocks.

I was not aware of the glasses improvement.

I already am a user of transitions for trucking over 20 years now and a user of thin lens and currently since 2009 tri focal no lines. If they added a filter against blue light I'll add that to the new prescription that is pending this year.

(It's actually supposed to bifocal due to cataract surgery in one eye replacing a ruined adjustable natural lens) but eye surgeon measured 24 inches and inserted a trifocal for the front sight of my colt with those glasses or the windsheild of the vehicle and everything on it. That helps me alot. I can actually function without glasses, but it's not as nice.

9. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Try a piece of foam or rubber between the TV and mount, if you have to hang it.

10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I don't have a TV. I never have but for a few months. I need to figure this wall mount out. Just so I can get digital local channels.

11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I use ratchet straps hanging from the cabinets and it's survived just fine. I ended up buying a Dell S2715H because all TVs around that size have horror show lcd panels.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.