TWIC for Tankers?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Exit310, Apr 17, 2012.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Any gasoline company that has terminals near the waterways require a TWIC. So if you're on the coast or close to any of the Nation's Maritime Transportation Systems you are required to have it. That can mean a lot of terminals that you think are not close to these waterways but really are. If a spill reaches the storm system then most likely it will eventually encroach where the TWIC would be required. My company requires it because you mat be sent to any terminal to load and you need it.

There's so many laws that protect the waters and give the courts the authority to fine and jail that you are better off being over documented than not.

LaBubba Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WX4JCW

WX4JCW Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I needed mine for the 2 Port Facilities i go to load Gas and Jet A, didn't need it in town at the main loading facility, but if you are going to haul gas or jet fuel, it may be wise to go ahead and get it

4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    TWIC is not just for terminals on the coast. I had to use mine in Kansas. Most refineries, chem plants and fuel terminals require them. And all the military bases I have been on.

5. camaron32

camaron32 Light Load Member

May 31, 2010
    Rosemount, Minnesota
    I just started an orientation program with a gas hauler up here in the Twin Cities. Even though they don't push the TWIC card I'm still going to get one. The company will reimburse me for the cost and it will allow me to load at refineries near the Mississippi. I figure it's a win win and all it costs me is a little bit of time.

6. none

none Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Indianpolis, IN
    Wow, popular subject.
    About four months ago, I started a couple of posts on the TWIC.
    First I would get my CDL. Then get hired. If you can't pass a background check, they might not be able to fire you. (You would not get hired if you get turned down for a TWIC).

If you get a TWIC. Then you can use it with any employer. They can call up any truck driving company and verify that it is a more in depth background check than any employer can give. Since you drive a truck you are allowed to recive this check.
    Not everyone is allowed to, I think the Federal government subsidises this?

My first TWIC thread I started:
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/questions-from-new-drivers/175263-twic-hazmat-better-treatment-for-newbie.html

My second thread:
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/questions-from-new-drivers/177836-twic-walk-ins-no-appointment.html

Good Luck!

7. Marc Letourneau

Marc Letourneau Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Worcester Massachusetts
    I am pretty sure in the state of Massachusetts you don't have a choice, You must have a TWIC card in order to add Hazardous materials on your license.

The program really isn't used like it was suppose to be..

8. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    Nope. The Coast Guard doesnt accept twic cards as a form of id at thier facilities. I do over the water transfers from thier vessels. The twic card is only for port access or any place by the water. Imo, the twic card is just another tax. Why cant they streamline it with hazmat endorsement. Its the same background check you go through.

9. Marc Letourneau

Marc Letourneau Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Worcester Massachusetts
    Because they make more money doing it the way they currently are.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.