Twin Stick Transmissions

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by MooneyBravo, Jan 23, 2016.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    You can see it demonstrated on YouTube

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Very interesting. And I know you didn't find a phone booth back then in the middle of nowhere much less a cell phone to google that info. hahaha

4. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I still get to run a couple twin sticks. We have a 5+4 and a 5+3 at home on the farm. One has power steering the other doesn't.
    Good times.

wore out Thanks this.
  5. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    It's a whole different world with no power steering I'll tell you. I've seen drivers that were trained in a power steering truck and then assigned a truck with no power steering quit a short time later. It's a lot of hard work until you learn that you simply can't turn that wheel unless you are moving. Trucks with no power steering respond a lot differently to pot holes too. hahahaha

6. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    Yeah seeing it and doing it would be two different things lol. I get the thought process behind it just doing it would be a chore at first

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  7. TimeTorn

TimeTorn Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2015
    I'm going on into my 6th month of OTR truck driving, and I can't help but feel absolute respect and gratitude towards the drivers that came before me and the drivers who pioneered the industry. Many thanks for all you have done, everything you sacrificed, and all of the advancements you have brought about. I am quite happy with my 12 speed with the new fangled hi-lo range splitter. My next truck will be an automatic for sure. I tried it once and I loved it. I can't even imagine life without air conditioning and power steering. :p

8. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    "Separates the truck drivers from the house wives", hahah. I would love to learn a twin stick.

9. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Trucks were a lot more noisy then too. Forget about any radio especially when you didn't have the well engineered sound systems of today.

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Yes, and it was needed. On a hill I would downshift when it got down to 1900 or so. My how things have changed.

Yeah, that's the one. The engine in that video sounds like a Cat 1693, which is what the one that I drove had as well. After watching that video it seems that the synchros in the air shift brownie of the one that I drove must have been shot, because after taking the main box out of gear and then shifting the aux it would always grind. Looks like it was the best of both worlds when things were working correctly.

No cell phones, no GPS, no Qualcomm, no phone booth, no problem!

The first truck that I bought was a 1983 359 that had no power steering. You definitely had your work cut out for you putting a 48' reefer into docks built for 40' trailers in Los Angeles, having to approach from narrow two lane roads.
    I actually enjoyed the feel of no power steering, but after a few years in that truck my left elbow would ache a bit from the jarring of bumps in the road.

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  11. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    Here's another cool video with an old KW

Dye Guardian and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.