Two Questions

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by nascarchuck, Sep 14, 2011.

1. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Ive got a couple of question, one being Stevens specific.

1. Do we get paid for any of the variance miles? I just ran a 6 day, 8 drop trip and have a high variance. They gave me a new optistop and I had to back track for a total of about 60 miles because of it, had about 30 miles out of route for scales, out of route for 10 hour breaks, driving from stop to stop, etc. Needless to say this check was much less than expected. Im chalking this up to an experience to learn from but I dont want to repeat my mistake.

2. How can I better manage my 70 hours? I am pretty much running out of 70's and if I pick up 8 or 10 hours can I only run that for the day. Am I doing something wrong or is that the way it is?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smokr

Smokr Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2009
    varies widely
    Use the area on your trip form for explaining your out-of-route miles. Put down the miles for getting to your opti-stop and getting back on route
    the same for scales (there and back on route) and other miles you needed to run out-of-route. They can call and verify with you later, or get with your DM about it.
    Also check the miles they allow for the trip against the miles it actually IS to do that route. You'll find you always run more miles than the trip pays, but if it's off more than a few, get it corrected with your DM.

As for hours, put yourself in the bunk while loading/unloading, using the truckstop, etc as often as possible. And always do your daily check call and verbally tell your DM when you're getting low that you need a day down or a reset. You'll run far less miles if you end up stopping during a run over hours than if you plan for those days you get so little back. Plus, running out your 70 often gets the DM used to you doing that and they give you less miles to compensate so they don't have that problem as often to deal with.

4. maxwelltie

maxwelltie Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Brookings, OR
    Beyond Smkrs advice, try and do things like your fuel stop and PTI at end of day in one instance. Saves 15 minutes. If you take longer than 15 mins for a fuel stop during the day (due to things like long lines) charge 15 mins for the fuels stop and then the rest of the time on line 1 as break.

5. nascarchuck

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Can I request pay on out of route after the pay is processed or am I out of luck on that trip?

As far as 70, Im on elogs. I log 10-15 mins for fuel then go off duty. I try to sleep at fuel stops. Load/unload line 2, try to keep PTI at end of day to 20-30 mins, etc. In other words Im trying to stay off duty as much as possible, legally. I have been trying to run 9-10 hours a day while driving all day.

Right now I haven 14 on my 70 and pick up 3 at midnight. Been sitting here 21.50 hours now.

6. maxwelltie

maxwelltie Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Brookings, OR
    sounds like you're doing all you can do.
    If you log 8.75 hours per day on duty, you can go forever. If you log more (as most of us do) you'll run out of hours somewhere. Just the way it is.

7. nascarchuck

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    OK... Thanks for the advice guys. I wasnt sure if this was common or just because I dont know what Im doing yet. :biggrin_2559:

Yall be safe!

8. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Anytime you have a legitimate reason for going out of route, if its enough miles to make a difference, get with your DM before scanning the trip and ask for the miles to be added on. Sometimes they will, sometimes they wont.

As for the 70, Ive found it best to run all my available hours that I can in a day and just do a reset whenever I run out. I usually run my 70 out in 6 days then relax for a day and a half and roll on again.

Look at it like this. If you run 8 - 9 hours a day and the end of 8 days you only have what hours your getting back to run. But if I run my hours out in 6 to 6 and a half days, on that 8th day I have a reset in and a fresh 70 to run.

bonbonsron Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.