Two Questions

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by J-Dub, May 19, 2017.

1. J-Dub

J-Dub Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Georgia, USA
    Ive got a pre hire letter to start orientation 5/30/17. It's 3 days and 4-5 weeks with a trainer I was told since it's the dedicated dollar general account I'm to be hired on with.

Question 1. Orientation pay. I know they pay you for orientation and training. Do they wait til the completion of training and the testing/upgrade until they pay you? I've heard of companies doing this so basically you make zilch for 4-5 weeks. Are they one of them? If so, deal breaker instantly. I can't live on zero income on the road for 4 weeks.

Question 2. Anyone on the dollar general dedicated account and if so, do you start your day and end your day at the distribution center in South Carolina? In other words is it an out and back deal or are you on the road for the whole week? They said hometime was sometime during weekends with the 34.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Most likely you receive orientation pay at the completion of orientation.During training most companies pay a straight salary every week once training is completed you'll receive driver pay.Its best to ask your recruiter what the pay is.Since you'll be dedicated you'll get paid a different rate I imagine.

J-Dub Thanks this.
  4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    You will overnight at stores normally, so you can start your day with an unload. Then you'll hit another couple stores, try to make it back to the DC if you have the hours, or wait for a backhaul back in.

If you're a trainee, don't be tricked into unloading the trl while the trainer sleeps in the back. He is getting paid to unload, you are not.

Use the experience and go food service in 6 months, you'll have a lot more time at home and more income.

J-Dub Thanks this.
  5. jeastonjr

jeastonjr Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Weymouth,Ma.
    Your backing up skills will be put to the test. I have not one that is easy. Good luck.

J-Dub Thanks this.
  6. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    You will gross 490 a week 70/day x 7 unless they changed it recently.

I don't recommend Dollar accounts but if that's your thing more power to you. You can make good money on those accounts but you will bust ### to get it.

J-Dub Thanks this.
  7. J-Dub

J-Dub Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Georgia, USA
    Thanks for the replies guys. Overnighting at the stores makes me a bit nervous. I've seen some dollar generals in some awful areas. Yikes. And thanks for the tip about not unloading while trainer sleeps. I will keep that in mind for sure.

8. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    Your over thinking.....most placed wony ever bother you....also things you can do from someone trying to break into your truck.....

Ive stayed in some sketchy areas and never been bothered

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.