Two weeks notice...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CruzControhl, Mar 16, 2019.

1. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Your DAC report couldn’t have been as bad as the 3 that quit while in Colorado lol

That was a seriously messed up move when they sold to Swift.

CruzControhl and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Yea they lost alot of good men back in them days. Mr. Starnes hung around as CEO for awhile but even he threw in the towel. I always said that if he started another outfit, I'd hire-on at the drop of a hat. But I been local now too long and I've since lost that hankering for road work.

CruzControhl, x1Heavy and SteerTire Thank this.
  4. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Tell the company you're with that you want to take hometime near a terminal and that your S.O. is coming to pick you up for a mini vacation. They won't dispatch you and you'll have a day or two to clean out your stuff. (That's what I did...)

5. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I remember when I was still a virgin trucker. So innocent. So hopefull and wide eyed. So out of touch with reality.

My first trucking job was Werner and I finally got hired by a local company after 10 months at Werner. I gave my 2 week notice. The next day I picked up a load in Austin and they had me drop it at the Dallas yard. I thought it was just a terminal transfer. As soon as I got there the guard cut my company ID badge in half and told me to clean out the truck and exit their property in 2 hours or cops will remove me.

I live in Maine. This was Dallas.

Had to pack what I could carry with me and everything else I gave away. This seriously pissed me off. I had to walk all the way out of the terminal and to the truck stop a block away. Call my mom and have her buy a plane ticket that day (expensive!) and took a cab to the airport.

Never give 2 weeks notice for nothing.

6. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    That tells you a lot about Werner! I gave notice every time I've moved on. But I did take care to do it while physically at my home terminal just in case. But in each case I've remained eligible for rehire.

7. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    I found a local job while OTR. Touched base with the recruiter daily. Told him when my home time was. Told him I'd call him when back at home terminal. Dispatch got me back one day early, sent another load to my truck. I didn't respond to the qualcom. They sent a dozen messages to me while I drove 45 min to terminal. Took my stuff out, told the manager I quit and he understood. He thought I was a decent driver. He even sent me my check for my vacation that I didn't take and a letter stating I left on good terms and they would be happy to take me back. This was Crete in 2009. I enjoyed my time there but needed more hometime and a steady paycheck.

8. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Wow. The stories are crazy. I have given a two week notice at every job i’ve ever held. I was always prepared to walk at a moments notice. Ie: truck was already cleand out, I was traveling light. I’ve worked the full two weeks every single time.

What may help that is the only job i quit because it sucked was CR England. The other two were to advance my carrer. I was always taught that it’s a small world & you never burn your bridges. You never know paths may cross again.

9. LilBudyWizer

LilBudyWizer Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I always give 2 weeks notice. I drive OTR so I need to turn in the truck. The company I hated driving for the most I actually went back to 3 months later. Once I decided to quit I quit doing the crap I hated and don't have to do. I found nothing happened. Without that it wasn't such a bad job.

10. Rn8806

Rn8806 Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Take your vacation time that's your notice and don't come back

11. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    I've always believed in not burning my bridges and giving notice although what Werner did to Kshaw0960 was pretty crummy.
    When I was laid off from my steel hauling job I wound up at PFS(McLane). When I got called back I gave my notice at PFS and they actually offered to keep me as a casual, I stayed on their list for another 5 years.
    They finally stopped calling me because I was turning them down too often...
    When the steel company closed, I went with a clothing distributor, which was just ok. After another steel company "recruited" me, gave my notice, and the clothing outfit actually had me train my replacement...
    Last year I got fed up with second steel company but still gave them a week...
    This year I decided to retire, but gave my current employer 2 weeks (that stretched out to a month) and they're still offering whatever work I want...(maybe 1 day/wk)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.