Typical day of a linedriver

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Apr 2, 2013.

1. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Yeah I run the shop location we use but rarely do swaps unless I don't have my ride. It's been sitting out back for a week waiting on some air valve behind the knobs on the dash. Saturday morning we had nothing to bring back so I waited till 630am for one of our trucks to be finished so I didn't have to drive a pile of crap. I really hope the part is in and the truck is done Monday.

I pull a lot of empties heading down there since they fixed the freight flow to cut empty miles. They wanted me to turn around and head back to Baltimore the other night to pick but it was too many miles for me to run roundtrip - no problem doing that if I can since miles pay and I like the dispatcher that called me. I belive it was Thursday night we pulled 13 or 15 empties from my barn to the reship and were over 3 loads when we got down there. It was never like that till the suits in Ann Arbor fixed it..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    I'm next out on day line-haul and from what I'm hearing it should happen in the next couple weeks. All kidding aside I'm burned out after 4 months on nights this year. I bid the hub I ran in 2010 but am 3 slots better and it has actually been worse. I understand working the dock is part of Con-way but 4 hours on the pad and 5 total at the hub on a 500 mile run is ridiculous. The money is great but I'm done with this crap. Pretty sure I'll make day line but if I don't I'll be starting a lot later than I am now. 6:53 start till 9am finish is over.. I'm done. You can't safely sustain that. At least they fixed empty miles..lol..

4. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    I get up at 0530 make a pot of coffee. Help the wife get the kids up for school. Watch the kids walk out the door at 0615.
    Kick back on the recliner and finish watching the news and weather. Then watch good morning America until 0715.
    Hop in the shower. Leave the house at 0730. Arrive at work at 0845.
    Give my truck a once over then grab my bills around 0900 back under my prehooked trailers. Give them a thorough onceover.
    Pull out the gate at 0920. Drive to my favorite breakfast joint with the pretty waitress wearing short shorts. Then get my belly full and continue to my meet point arriving at 1315.

Swap trailers then head back toward the barn art 1330. Getting back to the barn at 1715. Heading home at 1730.
    Stopping at the Mexican restaurant at 1830 to enjoy a couple cold ones and some fancy dip with seafood and other stuff. Then proceeding home. Still plenty of daylight left to mow the lawn or wash the car or something.
    Monday thru Friday

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  5. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Where to start dude..holy crap that is alot of empties...yea cutting empty miles, what a load of horsecrap. We run more empties off the hub now than beforethey began their lean journey. I wouldnt complain too much, pretty soon some whiz kid will throw it on a purchase wagon and there goes your run.

I hope you get that day bid man, that would be pretty effin sweet..And only at what 11 yrs? #### we have some ancient artifacts here at my barn. It will take me three lifetimes to get a day bid here..Our 3 day lines guys have 25 plus years here..Number one ht 30 yrs this yr. And if they go, we have alot of mid 30's guys in the city and on nights who will move into their slots..So Ill have to be content running the most horrible hub in all of con-way for the next 15 yrs if I stick around that long.

I know what you mean about getting burned out. I have a 7p start and they like to play games with when I leave the FAC since alot of our extraboard runs the hub as well. they start at like 5p, so guess who gets left holding the bag every night, chasing my service center freight and trying to make it home so I dont miss class. I also go to college full time, so most times I go to school in my uniform or I barely make it home at 8a, shower and turn right back out the door. Try to stay awake for 7 hrs in class, do hw plus take care of everything else life throws at you..so I definitely feel your pain.

cool35 and jakebrake12 Thank this.
  6. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    Sometimes I feel burned out just working 9:30 to 5 in flip flops touching nothing but the landing gear and the door handle. Ain't even got to back up other than hooking to the pups

7. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    mildew????

8. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Well as of Monday I get to do all of this during the day. I thought it would be 10 more years before I sniffed a day line-haul but I'll take it while I can..

9. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    best of luck man. that is super awesome.. let us know how it goes going from nights to days. has to take some adjustment.

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  10. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    It will be a lot harder to adjust when I go back on nights next January..lol..

11. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Nice jake brake. I don't see you guys out too much during the day so you must've really lucked out!

YRC keeps moving me from nights to days and back and forth... But I'm the jr man so it's whatever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.