U joint failure

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by missjhawk, Jun 21, 2017.

1. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    Today's pm revealed i had a bad u joint i was missing a cap not so sure why I get my truck greased every 25000 the tech told me it's possible they not putting enough grease in it or it was just time for it to fail at 210000mi then he recommends me grease at 10000mi not 25000 when a full pm is done. I asked if my truck getting towed would have created the problem but they towed it from drive tires

I'm really not sure what 2 do about greasing my truck how do I no they are putting enough grease in my joints

I heard a thumping noise b4 now it's gone

Then I'm not sure how he say my cab shocks are bad i no I'm a full figure gal do I just need to replace all shocks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    If you plan on trading your truck in every 350,000 miles like a mega fleet, by all means keep doing 25,000 intervals. Otherwise 10,000 mile grease intervals is still pretty far for an owner operator. Grease is cheap, and it'll keep kingpins, slack adjusters, cam bushings, ujoints, 5th wheel, etc lasting a long time.

You know you've used enough grease when clean new grease is oozing out of all 4 ends of the ujoint.

The only exceptions are the clutch & s-cam bushings -- a couple pumps of grease will do ya (you don't want excess grease getting on the brake or clutch linings)

BTW, you should catch bad ujoints on detailed pretrips (the types I'd do maybe once a week). Here is Connecticut DOT's driveline inspection procedure: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/cv_bu...e-driveshaft-inspections-created-04-01-14.pdf

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  4. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Grease every 5,000 miles period. It's cheap protection and only takes 30 mins tops. Make sure grease comes out at all 4 corners. If it doesn't, grease isn't getting to that side. I know some guys that grease ever weekend or every other weekend no matter the miles.

As far as being towed, they should always remove the drive shaft. Otherwise you risk tranny or rear end problems. When they pick up the front of the truck, it throws the drive line angles out.

Big_D409 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Grease is the cheapest mechanic you will never find. Just do it once a month for peace of mind.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Get greaseless joints.

mhyn Thanks this.
  7. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    We grease ours every weekend religiously. Just replaced the first ujoint on a 2002 FLD with 1.4 million.

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Another important practice often not followed by "techs" at Speedco or T/A-Petro shop is to ALWAYS wipe the grit and dirt off the grease fitting before you hook the grease gun onto it. Otherwise you're just pushing that grit into those bearing surfaces. I've never seen anyone in a shop use a rag to clean off the grease zerks before they grease. Which is very sloppy and pure laziness. I grease my truck every 6,000 miles except for the throw out bearing which gets about a 1/4 of a shot every 12,000 miles. U-joints should last at least 750,000 miles or more. But like double yellow says they certainly won't if you're greasing them every 25,000 miles.

Grubby, Big_D409, HopeOverMope and 6 others Thank this.
  9. Mr Budeedee

Mr Budeedee Light Load Member

May 11, 2017
    I never had that experience. They always cleaned the zerk beforehand but I just prefer to do it myself. It's an every weekend job and just kind of a ritual I got into years ago.

10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Agreed. I have sealed ujoints. No grease. Just replaced mine a couple months back.

As for greasing the truck. My truck and trailer see grease every week. Also gets done again every 10k - 12k miles with each oil change.

I couldnt imagine letting it go 25k or I've even been told some go 50k before oil change and pm service.

Hurst

ShooterK2 Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Greased dad's trucks 2x a week. Never had any failures and everything lasted pretty much the life of the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.