Ugh derated trailer..

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Xray4, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    I am looking at purchasing a Lamar 40 foot flatbed which suits some needs that I have. It's got dual tandems, 10,000 lb axles. This should set the trailers GVWR at 25,900 lb. At least that is pretty typical. The weird thing is that this trailer has a manufacturer Vin sticker with a 20,000 lb rating. Specifically says maximum cargo not to exceed 10,000 pounds. Because this trailer already waste 10,000 pounds.

I know people derate trailers but usually they derate 14k down to 12K or something like that. I've never heard of somebody derating down to 20k.

I also know that if there is a VIN sticker missing, dot will go based off tire ratings and axle size. So that leads me to my question, have any of you ever pulled the sticker so you can in theory uprate your trailer?

I've reached out to Lamar, though I've heard previously that once it's rated at the time of manufacturing, they won't change it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I doubt the trailer weighs 10k lbs. My all steel stepdeck car hauler weighs 8k.
    Add the rating of the truck + the 20k rating of the trailer and subtract the tare weight.
    Example - 8k truck curb weight + 10k (?) trailer weight = 18k lbs tare.
    ram dually rating is 14k + 20k trailer rating = 34k lbs GVWR.
    You should be able to load 16k lbs. About 20% will transfer to the truck.
    Trailer will support about 13k lbs on itself and 3k to the drive axle if all is balanced.
    Trailer tandems should be holding under 20k axle ratings.

Dot laws vary wildly between states from what I learned. Some will go by axle ratings, some by tire ratings. Some will ticket you for something that is considered legal in other states.
    Take any advice with a grain of salt. When in doubt call the DOT office in the states you are driving through and ask.

First time I hear of a trailer company not willing to derate a trailer sticker. They are covering their ##### probably. No company will rate their trailers for higher rating then the axles usually. I had to upgrade my trailer tires to 14 ply before they would rate it for 24k lbs with "10k" axles.

The_Great_Corn, Lite bug and Xray4 Thank this.
  4. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    I'm sure it weighs around 10k empty. It's a 40' with a deck on the neck and air ride. My 35' diamond c with no deck on the neck and less steel used in construction weighs 9k.

My issue is I think this trailer was derated by the factory when built, down to 20k from 25k, and i want that extra 5k cushion in rating. I know the trailer will handle 17ish.

5. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

10k axles is a 20k trailer it's not derated it's correct. You need 12k axles for the 25k rating.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    I have a gooseneck just like it with 10k axles, rated at 25,900. That is more standard. It accounts for the 20% on the tongue.

Bean Jr. and Lite bug Thank this.
  7. baerpath

baerpath Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2019
    12k axles with 17.5 16ply tires gets you upto a 30k rating

Lite bug and Xray4 Thank this.
  8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Big Tex 25gn with 12k axles = 25,900#
    Diamond C to get a 30k trailer requires 3x 10k axles
    Diamond C 2x 12k axles = 25,9k
    Gator's 2x 12k axles = 25,9k

Show me a spec sheet for a manufacturer who sells a trailer with 2x 10k axles and rates it at 25,9k because I've never seen that before. I have a BT 25gn with 12k axles myself and it's rated at 25,9k, not 30k.

I've never seen a trailer with 2x 10k axles rated at 25k or a 2x 12k rated at 30k. Maybe there is some special order you can do but I've not seen that option on any of the major trailer manufacturers so I'd like to see it if it exists.

I didn't go too far into diamond C's spec sheet so maybe they have other options I know you said 16 ply tires which I think most of the ones I saw listed didn't have that. I know my BT doesn't have 16 ply. Is that the difference if it exists?

Also, just for the record if you are running a normal 1 ton truck you are asking for trouble hauling that much weight anyway. If you have a 4,500 or a 5,500 that's better but you start getting over 17 or 18k and that's a lot of weight on the deck of these trailers

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  9. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York

My trailer has 2x10k with 14 ply and rated for 24k. I'll post a pic of the vin sticker later today, don't know how to do it on the phone.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Na it's not a big deal, I just never noticed any manufactuers doing it. When I bought my current trailer they were all 25,9k if it had 12k axles. Granted I didn't look at any of these higher end trailers like Diamond C and so on because the prices are simply insane for what we do.

It's probably the 14-16 ply tires that is giving them that ability.. One thing though is all these trucks have a max combined weight rating. It's not just a case of hey I'm gonna pull a trailer rated at 30k or 40k lbs in my F350 and be able to legally haul 45 or 50k lbs..

The truck itself still has a max combined weight rating for how heavy of a trailer it can haul.If your getting trailers rated upwards of 30k or so might be pushing than max combination limit.

11. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    25k with 10 ply tires.

Now, i don't run 10 ply tires, i run 14s on this rig, and I agree that one should not push the limits on ratings, both truck and trailer. And i don't. I just like to have that extra wiggle room if it's easily obtainable.

Attached Files:

crocky Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.