Ugliness at truck stops

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zappafan, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Zappafan

Zappafan Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    So Ive been considering CDL school and doing a lot of research on the career.
    Been watching a lot of youtube vids and Ive seen a lot of ugliness at truckstops. Violence and aggressivness between truckers for whatever reason.
    Is this common? I thought truckers were a big fraternity that helped one another out.
    Also seeing a lot of video testimonials about dispatchers screwing drivers over, sometimes unintentionally sometimes on purpose just to be a jerk.
    I think a life on the road would be great for me a nd my personality, but that makes me reconsider
    Thanks and be safe out there :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Take everything with a grain of salt. And use common sense.

Grubby, Lepton1, rabbiporkchop and 6 others Thank this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It isn't bad at the truck stops. If you mind your own business you will be left alone. Which also means not intentionally being in the way. Park it properly. Just don't be an inconsiderate moron is more or less what I'm saying.

Dispatchers....do your job well and communicate well. Use your time effectively. Learn what can and can't be done. Know ahead of time where issues will arise. For example. You have a 1500 mile load delivers in 3 days. On end of day 1 you know the 4 am appointment is legally impossible. Don't want until 2 am day of delivery to tell them you need 9 am or later. Tell them immediately. All issues when resolved immediately are mostly non-issues.
    Some dispatchers are just plain ###holes. So get yourself a new one if it comes to that. It will take you some time to learn what's good and what isn't good so try not to job hop before you really learn the game.

Frank Speak, Grubby, Lepton1 and 9 others Thank this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Hey now. @IluvCATS and I try to stay out of truck stops as much as we can. Its called Make America's Truck Stops pretty again.

tscottme, not4hire, Zappafan and 6 others Thank this.
  6. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Wouldn't be interesting to post boring stuff on YouTube.

7. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Do keep in mind also...folks with negative things to say are more likely to holler from the tallest mountain about it, no matter how big or small. The ones with the good stuff to say are to busy enjoying their job/life/whatever. Not to say folks with good stuff to say don't use Youtube or leave reviews, they do...but their a minority.

So yea..like they said above...take it with a grain of salt, an don't be a ####### an you won't have anything to worry about. ; The not being a ####### is the part a lot of people tend to have problems with. ;)

Sirscrapntruckalot - There's no crying in baseball! - Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The "truck driving culture" has changed immensely over time, as everything else does. Some change for the better but more change for the worse.

Lots more drivers crammed into finite space creates more conflict potential. Also, the typical truck driver of today is an entirely different animal than the typical truck driver of yesteryear.

The sheer volume increases of trucks and drivers has changed attitudes over time

rearview, Lepton1, tscottme and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Depends on where you are in the country, no issues in my little world, everyone is pretty cool. Now, places like W Memphis and Baltimore I was at both when shootings were going on, but that was back in the early 90's and I doubt things have changed much. Phoenix was another fun town, shooting there too. I try to stay out of the big chains when possible, I like the small chains or mom and pop places much better, or a Walmart, in that order. And I stay out of the big cities, I'll drive 60 miles to get out of the area.

Zappafan and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  10. hagarcobra

hagarcobra Medium Load Member

May 24, 2013
    The fraternity has been gone for a long time. The days when we had to depend on each other because we had no one else disappeared with all the emerging technologies which tend to isolate us and the fact that most drivers today aren't fit to drive. When you get out here you'll see that alot of drivers have no courtesy or manners. They don't care how they're actions effect others.

11. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    That is the honest to God truth too. There is no courtesy or etiquette left, I still try, but it is a losing battle. It is very dangerous out here anymore, not at all like when I started in this racket. The reason I stay with my carrier, as I do not even care to leave the state anymore. Just putz around lower Michigan and try to stay off of I-94. I do pretty good at that too. ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.