UH OH !!!!

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Dave_in_AZ, May 20, 2020.

1. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    So you don't think shippers have lowered their rates to the brokers?

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If they did it's by a penny or two. Certainly none of the monster corporations have not. That's all contract.

When the BS all started, there was a new shipper that popped up in my back yard paying $4.50 mile.

I was like,"Hello. Where'd you come from?"

Place has been there forever, think they just called us for a few months cause some of their regular players called off or got scared.

Naw, huge dollars get siphoned off by brokers / agents.

TallJoe and 650cat425 Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I've not figured this end of the game out yet - Direct Customers.

But, being of average intelligence, and not having a time limit, I just may.

5. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I could be wrong, but I believe the shippers have dropped the rates. I'm sure there are some brokers that are getting good rates and screwing drivers but I don't think the majority are. A few of the big brokers might have good contract rates but the majority aren't on contracts, at least from my limited understanding. All in all, it will swing back in the favor of drivers before long. Spot market has always been a roller coaster ride.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  6. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Basically have to be like a broker. Cold call and see what they're paying currently. See if you can under bid.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    I don't begrudge anyone from making a profit, including brokers. I hate to throw the curveball here, but I don't think we are examining the correct issue. If I'm right, drivers are feeling cheated out of money. But is it the brokers' fault?

I believe the true fault for this lies squarely on the bottom feeders who will take a $2/mile load for $.85. Most of these bottom feeders are newly arrived in the country and still see $.85 as a fortune compared to the wages where they came from. Plus, $.85 goes a lot further when you don't maintain your equipment and stuff 6 of your buddies in the truck with you.

The brokers are only responding to the market. I don't agree with limiting anyone's opportunity to be an entrepreneur, but perhaps the conversation should be about how to establish acceptable standards for granting authority?

Of course, I'm still irritated we aren't classified as skilled labor by L & I. It would solve a lot of problems.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.