UH OH !!!!

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Dave_in_AZ, May 20, 2020.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Not if it's a rule they have to take 15% and must sell it for 3400.

That's what everyone wants.

Bean Jr. and Vic Firth Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    But what if no one want's it at $3400?
    Does the broker go back to the shipper and says he needs more?
    Then does the shipper think the broker is jacking him?

I say let the free market decide; no need for new rules.
    Here's another idea......
    You gonna love this one.....
    Say truckers can only haul for "X" a mile.
    That would put everyone on the same page.
    Brokers, shippers, truckers.

Mo rulz people

4. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Well that's where the transparency comes in. Then everyone knows what the shipper is willing to offer.

And if no one will take it, they gotta crack that wallet a bit wider.

But if the margin is 15%, where's now, they take 50, it's not gonna be a problem.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Brokers association lashes out after OOIDA’s push for more transparency

From the article:

Last week, Congress got the message that the next COVID-19 emergency bill must prevent brokers from continuing to skirt federal transparency requirements. And, yes, even FMCSA is taking notice that they should start enforcing their own regulations for brokers the same way they do for drivers.”[/QUOTE]

Apparently it is beginning to happen.

I have paid attention to these threads and I understand the concern for underbidding and that type of a thing.

Myself though, I am optimistic that it will bring the Carrier more into the equation.

In other words instead of the broker catering to the shipper and then just trying to find the cheapest Carrier the broker will have to begin to pay more attention on the Carrier side.

It's anybody's guess but I think it's very possible you will begin to see brokers telling carriers we pay a higher percentage we get the highest rates and things like that and actually having the brokers compete not just for the freight from the shipper but also compete for the carriers.

That would be a positive thing if it worked that way.

I say this because if one broker is going to take 20% somewhere there's going to be 1 that says no no come work for me I'll take 15 you make more money.

Plus it will be easier to tell if a load is double brokered and you will be able to see the entire payment that the broker gets for detention and other extra pay.

HopeOverMope and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    And the shipper says "I don't think so bub, your cut comes off the top not added to the price."

Bakerman Thanks this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    That's the current problem, Dave.
    There is no transparency in ANYTHING.
    Do you really think that the Feds have the time or resources to audit every freight bill?

86scotty and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Apparently it is beginning to happen.

I have paid attention to these threads and I understand the concern for underbidding and that type of a thing.

Myself though, I am optimistic that it will bring the Carrier more into the equation.

In other words instead of the broker catering to the shipper and then just trying to find the cheapest Carrier the broker will have to begin to pay more attention on the Carrier side.

It's anybody's guess but I think it's very possible you will begin to see brokers telling carriers we pay a higher percentage we get the highest rates and things like that and actually having the brokers compete not just for the freight from the shipper but also compete for the carriers.

That would be a positive thing if it worked that way.

I say this because if one broker is going to take 20% somewhere there's going to be 1 that says no no come work for me I'll take 15 you make more money.

Plus it will be easier to tell if a load is double brokered and you will be able to see the entire payment that the broker gets for detention and other extra pay.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what some of the Facebook videos were saying.

The big brokerage houses have handshake agreements this what were gonna sell for.

Then there is no competition. Accept to grind the carriers down to nil.

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    And once people know that the broker is moving this load for $x plus 17% then someone can solicit the business for $x plus 14%. Or $x plus 8% and “make it up on volume”.

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    They don't have to audit them all. Just like they don't audit every log.

But everyone sure does get nervous about the random logs they pick don't they?

11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You really think "transparency" is going to fix it? Anybody who's taking dirt cheap freight now will take it if they know what the broker's making too. The brokers have a good idea how many people are stuck with a couple thousand a month truck payment, payments on a couple cars, house, and whatever all else, they have the upper hand now.

Doealex Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.