Unable to unload me

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    So I got to a customer and made it 30mins before my scheduled time Saturday. Had a window till midnight that night.
    I get there and all the workers had went home and they can’t unload me till Monday.

Shouldn’t I be getting layover or detention pay? I figured I’d ask here before I get pissed. This has never happened before.

I was made to wait two days for a load earlier this week and now I have to wait two extra days to be unloaded 3 days means I’ve got **** all for miles

semitosemi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Depending on if your company pays it or not. You have to say something to them. Make sure you contact them via the Qualcomm and have them confirm it there so you can have it in writing.

Puppage, Cabinover101 and Mototom Thank this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Depends on what you agreed on when starting the job. If detention was part of the package you should get it. If not, no.
    Learn from it and the next company look at the full pay package. (If you in fact don't like the terms of this company)

tscottme and Mototom Thank this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Sounds to me like your carrier needs a new account manager. That is really weird. You were on time, even 30 minutes early? Then they refused to unload you? Something is 100% wonky here!

roshea, Coffey, Grumppy and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    They stop unloading at 2pm, but my “appointment” was at 2:45
    IF I missed the appointment I still had to midnight is what I was told
    Turns out the whole place except shipping shuts down at 2pm on Saturday. Shipping office refused to unload me in their dock.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  7. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I'd ask for $200 a day waiting. Depends on your average pay really.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Yes, and somebody in the main office at your carrier is an idiot! You don't do drivers this way. This whole situation is wonky. I stand by that! it is the epitome of stupid to schedule an appointment 45 minutes after they close the docks. I have learned many years ago to NEVER assume intelligence when it comes to dispatch and account managers. If this is a broker load, then that broker needs to get some correction.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I've said this many times before...….The driver ALWAYS needs to call the consignee to verify unload times. If you had done this you would have known they shut down at 2 pm on Saturdays. Lesson learned.

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I was thinking of saying the same thing. I'm guilty of just letting the chips fall as they may and letting the company pay for their mistakes instead of fixing them myself, though. Running the LTL loads I do I make the appointments, so half the time it's my fault if the time doesn't work.

11. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    I can’t do that anymore. A while back they told us not to call the customer directly (no idea why) and now we just don’t get phone numbers.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.