Unable to unload me

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Might want to find a carrier that trusts their drivers enough to communicate with the customer. Really doesn't sound like a great place.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Agreed, the issue I have though is the appointments are wonky! It does not make any sense for a final destination to make an appointment 45 minutes after they close the docks, unless the schedulers and the docks are in different places and not communicating. I ran into this problem picking up a load in Missouri. Total loss of communication. After almost a day waiting I gave up, told my FM to get me out of there. This was one of those rare situations where I refused to pick up. I get the impression this is a broker load and the carrier inherited a mess.

4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Should be able to get just about every number off Google... Especially a weekend delivery I'd be attempting to call. Regardless of what the company says I'd still be calling.

5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I always check the company's work hours on Google maps. It usually has hours and a phone number. As long as you're just checking, NOT changing your appointment hours, no one's the wiser.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    No detention. Your company dropped the ball. If it had been the receiver, then they would ask for detention.
    Agreed. That’s what happens when the office people try to handhold and coddle you. Driver gets screwed every time the desk jockey goofs.

snowlauncher, Coffey and dwells40 Thank this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I don't really fully agree with this.
    Sure the carrier should not get detention, but as the carrier messed up that driver should not suffer for that. The carrier should eat the cost of giving the driver detention.

8. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I was under the impression the customer had to verify the delivery time.

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Same page, hand...I DON'T AGREE either.

When they screw up, and you ask for detention, they're going to tell you all kinds of reasons why you are not going to get detention pay. I've quit 2 jobs in my career because of that. My time is important.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  10. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    The small business I work for expects us to call the customer when we are en route. And if we did our due diligence, and we show up to unload at agreed time, and dont get unloaded, the boss man and woman will make sure we are well compensated for waiting. They run a tight ship, and it's done me well. If you did all that you could do, and you dont get paid to wait, tell them to pound sand.

dunchues and Coffey Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You can google phone numbers direct to any place with a physical address.

Who is this they and why would they know you called direct? If you called earlier on the way and found that they are closed before your appt, all you have to do is be there when they are open to take load. Or you are going to wait until monday to get unloaded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.