Under the table work vs Employment history

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Emclem1307, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Emclem1307

Emclem1307 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Hi all, I am currently looking to getting into trucking. I am seeing that I need to have contacts or W2 for work history. Unfortunately, my work history is all over the place. I had lived in NYC for the past 5 years prior to moving to Louisiana. In my time in NYC I worked in local coffee shops, under the table. Its a very common thing in the city. One of the places I worked for nearly 2 1/2 years doesn't even have a phone # but I think we went to W2 the last 6 months of me working there. Will this be a set back? Thank you all so much in advance! Also thank you for providing such great info for us all <3

Emily

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I could write you will be fine. Then i could also write your going to have a lot of trouble. Both answers are right. I'm assuming you are planning to get a CDL through a school. Most of these schools are going to want to get a good work history. You only need a 3 year history. Right now start working on listing your jobs. It looks like you are going to have some gaps. Do your best to keep these gaps to a minimum. However be totally honest on that application. Now if you can get into a tech school you might be able to get the CDL and not have a work history. Be honest, list as much as you can. Put in some leg work and after its all over you should find a job. Good luck what ever you do!

4. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    You have to account for every month in the past X amount of years they require. I don’t know about driving schools or tech schools, but when I first started at Prime it was 10 years of employment history. They will check, and they will require verifiable contacts. I don’t think you’ll be required to provide W-2s for every year and certainly not check stubs or anything ridiculous like that, you just have to have a name and phone number they can call to ask if you worked there during the time you listed. I don’t see why they would ask or need to know how you were paid.

Biggest piece of advice here? Be completely honest. You’re wasting everyone’s time, including your own, if you think you can slip through the cracks and cheat the system. Companies and schools have teams of people dedicated to vetting applications, and they’re very thorough.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The OP does not have a CDL. That up to 10 year thing is for CDL history. In this case the OP only needs 3. Like I said. Be honest and account for the gaps.

6. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that.

7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    You’re right & wrong. Law says 3 years, Company can require more. Back when i first started i went thru this same thing, USX wanted 10 years work history. They would not settle for three. Of course i was 21 and did not have 10 years work history, but they checked on every single job i ever had.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Your wrong.

First there is no law, it is a regulation,

Second it is for 10 years of prior employment, never has been three.

The catch is that they are looking for your prior work under the fmcsa regs.

To the op, just put down something like in school or taking care of relative for the gaps.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Jazz1 Thank this.
  9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Ok a rule. Don't lie. Honesty is always the best policy.

10. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Will the coffee shop verify the dates you were employed there over the phone? Do they have a fax machine? You could send them a typed letter stating your dates of employment and ask them to sign it, just to verify your dates. Check with them prior to sending them the letter, to see if that would be feasible.

You should be able to list a phone number. Google the company for their phone number and address. If you dont know supervisors name, leave it blank.....not a big deal for older employers.

Generally an employer wants you to account for your time, so they know you werent in prison for a robbery for a year or two recently.

Any employers you worked at for less than a month, I would not worry about listing.....you can be between jobs or on unemployment.

How far back an employer goes will vary by company policy.

Sounds like you may have 5 or more jobs to list on your application. Get the dates listed accurately to the month.

The cdl schools through a community college wont care much about your employment history.

11. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Summary:
    Previous 3 years must list ALL employers
    The 7 years preceeding the 3 year history only requires listing employers "for which the applicant was an operator of a commercial motor vehicle"

From CFR 391.21 Application For Employment eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

(10)(i) A list of the names and addresses of the applicant's employers during the 3 years preceding the date the application is submitted,

(ii) The dates he or she was employed by that employer,

(iii) The reason for leaving the employ of that employer,

(iv) After October 29, 2004, whether the (A) Applicant was subject to the FMCSRs while employed by that previous employer,

(B) Job was designated as a safety sensitive function in any DOT regulated mode subject to alcohol and controlled substances testing requirements as required by 49 CFR part 40;

(11) For those drivers applying to operate a commercial motor vehicle as defined by part 383 of this subchapter, a list of the names and addresses of the applicant's employers during the 7-year period preceding the 3 years contained in paragraph (b)(10) of this section for which the applicant was an operator of a commercial motor vehicle, together with the dates of employment and the reasons for leaving such employment
    ; and

brian991219, Lav-25 and Jazz1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.