Understanding Company Training

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by xojewels, Aug 10, 2007.

1. xojewels

xojewels Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2007
    South
    Okay it has been almost three weeks since I have been released (maybe 4 time seems to be running together). I have experienced everything from a blow out which I told you about in an earlier post; and now someone is messing with my truck. Little things at first side mirrors moved, valves that I know I closed are open and caskets stolen from my trailer. This last weekend someone climbed on top and opened all the bolts on one of the vents and stole my lanyard for my harness out of my truck. Though I am not sure how since I am the only one that is supposed to have keys; but because of that I lost a load. I could not load the product without the lanyard. I have reported it and I am told it is not because I am a woman that it has been going on for a while but that doesn't help and I am not all that convinced that my being a woman doesn't somehow make it worse. I have told my manager and I am trying not to make a big deal out of it. I make sure I do a really good pre trip I just hope I don't miss something that causes some sort of accident. Any suggestions???

Xo

P.s believe it or not I really like the job still, the terminal manager is cool and I like the guy at dispatch so all in all if I could just 86 the dude that is messing with my truck life would be more than good.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xojewels

xojewels Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2007
    South
    Hi all.

Okay in the last post tried to edit it and it would not let me. I meant gaskets not caskets. LMAO. Anyway, I am comfortable with driving to the point my heart does not hit my throat any more. I have cut my time from 11-12 hours a day to 9-10 hours a day if all goes well. That is even with a stop or two. I still love my job and really like the folks in the front office. While a lot of the drivers complain about the company (ie: there is more money else where or there is more loads at so and so company) I am pretty happy with what I am making and who I work for. The company it self I have no idea with. We are a small terminal and I just know those where I work. But all in all any of my questions have been answered. The few times my check was missing a load my terminal manager took care of it so I could get my money on the week it was due me. When I had a question about my school pay and I called HR they took care of it. (Well okay it did take three phone calls before I got someone to get on it).

While I am sure I could still use improvement, yesterday in the yard I had to do a 45 degree blindsided back wiggling it in a narrow space because of how the other trucks and trailers were parked. When I was done parking my truck I realized that I was not nervous and did not sweat. It took me no longer than my first trainer would have taken and with very little pull ups. I judged the angle fairly well and did not over steer or the one time I did I knew it and knew to correct it. I have learned alot these last few months. While I learned an incredible amount from the trainners the fine tunning came when I was out on my own and took the time to practice at any truck stop I came to. (when it wasn't to full of course) and varying where I parked my truck when I was done durning the day.

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice and support. You have no idea how much it helped. I went from hating what I was doing to really liking it.

Xo:biggrin_25514:

4. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Glad to hear you've gotten so comfortable and are enjoying your job.

I'm not one to say I told you so, but....:biggrin_255:

Merry Christmas, xo

5. Big Red

Big Red Lonestar

Nov 11, 2007
    Comfortable with your tanker position.

I just finished tanker training with my new company. If I knew that pulling a tanker was as simple as it is...I'd have done it years ago.

I am pulling a dry tank...cement and fly ash. Less hassle and more money than most anything else I've done over the years. Load in 10-15 minutes, depending on the line at the plant...unload in 45 minutes to an hour once I'm hooked up...the rest is just driving.

By the way...don't let it worry you about going slow. I don't set ANY land speed records myself.

6. sassytrucker

sassytrucker <strong>"Don't Sass Me"</strong>

Oct 29, 2007
    Denison, TX
    Xo I am so glad to hear that things are going good for you. I just read through this entire thread and found it very encouraging. I am also a female and worry a little bit about how women get treated, but I agree in not making a big deal out of it. Did whoever was messing with your truck stop? And please do keep us posted to how things are going. :yes2557:

7. fastSVT

fastSVT Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Jewels, who are you driving for? Dupre?

8. xojewels

xojewels Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2007
    South
    No I am not driving for Dupre. And to be honest I am not comfortable yet with saying which company. Probably because I have been more than honest in my posts lol. And it is not hard to figure out who I would be from there. Anyway my to answer another question my truck is not being messed with at least not now. And yes Scarecrow you did tell me lol. As for being a woman I think it depends on how the company handles it and what they allow the other employees to get away with.

Xo:biggrin_25519:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.