Uniden CB radios? Good? Bad?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Beanfacekilla, Oct 9, 2006.

1. BUZZSAW

BUZZSAW Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    BAck at ya Mustang ! Hold 'er tween the LINES DRIVER !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hijacker

hijacker Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2007
    I'm going to order a Uniden PC78 Elite for my pickup truck. Originally, I was going to order from Premiere Electronics and have them do their "Mega-Tune", but have since decided to order it stock and hope it is well-tuned within legal limits from the factory.

My question is: I have a D104 power mic on an old (real old) Cobra 29 LTD Classic and am wondering if it would work well with the PC78 Elite? Thank you.

4. BUZZSAW

Dec 14, 2006
    Are you putting it in your pick-up or the big truck? If it's in the pick-up the D104 will work very well . Sometimes ( if your tractor is noisy) a noise cancelling mic like an Astatic 636L or a Road King 56 works better in this situation.

5. hijacker

hijacker Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2007
    It's going in my pickup that has a diesel motor. I guess I'll try the D104 and if I get complaints about background noise, I'll switch to a noise-canceling mic. I know it's an overkill, but I also have a Wilson 5000 mag-mount antenna that I'm going to use with the Uniden PC78 Elite. This did a great job with my Cobra 29 LTD Classic.

6. BUZZSAW

Dec 14, 2006
    I think the D104 will work really good in your pick-up, even with the diesel engine it shouldn't pick that up. The Wilson 5000 is a REALLY good mobile antenna for a pickup or auto! It is what I use & I am really pleased with mine. B-saw

7. Money B

Money B Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2008
    L.A.,Ca
    a Uniden pc78ltw what can I do to get more sound and power for my radio

8. smokin97

smokin97 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    IL
    Ive got the same radio, attached to a Wilson 500 Mag mount. No problems with it.

9. Money B

Money B Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2008
    L.A.,Ca
    You have a clear sound and did you change your mic as well and how much did the wilson cost

10. smokin97

smokin97 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    IL
    Stock Mic, I had a 1k for 4 years until it broke, that was $90. The 500 I have now was $70, this was at a CB shop at the I90 and RT20, in Marengo, IL.
    I have yet to have someone tell me to turn it up, usually Im getting told to turn it down!

I get out further and clearer than my buddy with a 29.

Money B Thanks this.
  11. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Gloucester City, NJ
    I just finished an installation of a new Uniden PC 68-XL. I went with the 68 for it's smaller footprint over the 78-series. I spent the extra $$$ at Clay's to have Mod #2 done to it. So far, I'm getting good reports, using the stock mic and no amp.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.