Uniden pro 510x Static

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by lwlevens, Oct 7, 2018.

1. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Probably a dumb question but here it goes anyway.Have a Uniden pro 510xl am I supposed to hear static all the time until someone talks??? Stupid right.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yes, that's normal. Not a stupid question, the static is very off-putting.

You can adjust the squeltch to cut out the static, and not hear faint transmissions, or develop a "mental filer" to tune out the static. That takes a while.

I mean, if you just listen to the static for long enough you won't even know it's there. But it takes some time.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    That depends on the source/sources of the static. Much of it can be eliminated.
    Controlling Static

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The rabbit hole goes deeper than most, even I, care to venture. Sulerly nothing worth delving into as a hobby, or more, for such a trivial change. C'mon now....

7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Remember "45 mile cobra 29"?
    I wouldn't have been able to hear him if I had all kinds of static in my receiver.
    Definitely worth putting some effort into RF grounding

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    What about it? I've done that with a stock radio with a mag mount on a mobile talking to another mobil with a mag mount.

No extra effort than plug in a power lead from the cigarette
    Lighter adapter and slap the antenna on the top of a rental car.

I'm not impressed. Especially considering all you went through, time spent, to achieve such a "breathtaking feat". How long did you spend in radio to do that?

Dude. There is a point of diminishing returns that nobody in the real.world cares about. Especially someone new to the scene.

shogun and Meteorgray Thank this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The original poster asked a question if static was normal. What's normal for one guy is abnormal for some folks.
    Obviously he cared enough to ask the question. Most folks parked next to me have so much noise going on that they are unable to hear beyond 10 miles if they're lucky.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    There is always static. No need to send people on a wild goose chase.

shogun and BTShepp Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll say this. There was a documentary related to the origins of our Universe and it was stated that static is a problem with radio equiptment that is used to look into space. Turns out some of it, a small, emphasis on small percentage is the blast wave from our own big bang however billions of years ago.

Good radios have a squelch and a SWR meter to match whatever antenna you are rolling on. Whatever you get back is what you get back minus the static which should not be that noticeable. In time your mind will ignore it. It's literally not a valid input.

I just use a stock Uniden pc76xl and nothing fancy. Run whatever is hooked up to it. It's done well enough and continues to do so.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.