Universal or Hub group?

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by murat, May 19, 2015.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Any opinion on Triple Crown Services?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PO Stoner

PO Stoner Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Talked to a Hub guy. He told me $1.08 per mile. I would assume they pay 100% FSC to go with that. Friend of mine talked to a TCS buddy of his and he said if he we're to average his weeks, he makes around $5k weekly. Nice!! He said he has a lot of late nights and some overnights however. I think TCS runs Qualcom too...so no cheating. Hub uses Xata...still no cheating. I'm thinking a smaller pay by percentage company that still uses paper logs might be better and simpler??? The smaller companies tend to not offer any kind of medical insurance. TCS sounds good if they don't make you run 70 hours a week to make the money.

4. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    TCS are good people, and they have neverending freight (Ford or Cummins loads) but the only way their O/O are pulling down 5K per week is running about 6 days per week, 16+hr per day....when I worked there last year they paid O/O $1 per mile + .40 FSC, running Chicago(Yardcenter) or Joliet(G4) to Louisville or Chicago to Toledo.....It helps A LOT if you live in the Louisville area......needles to say they run paper logs. I live in Chicago, so never did any of the Cincinnati loads....but can't imagine their any different...Honestly, their a cowboy outfit....

young_trucker Thanks this.
  5. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    No I have not signed on with either one as of yet,I have been told to look at TSL but have been kept pretty busy for the time being hauling cement.

6. PO Stoner

Jul 6, 2015
    When he said an average of $5k/wk, I was thinking serious hours too. I saw $1.54/mi on-line for TCS..maybe they pay a little better in the KC market since there is a serious driver shortage here. If anyone has anything on Containerport Group, they look okay too but I don't know anything beyond their craigslist ad. I haven't applied anywhere yet. Trying to get my house sold and a new one bought in a better school district before I can change jobs.

7. young_trucker

young_trucker Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Thanks for all inputs. I haven't signed on with any intermodal companies yet as well. Since I stayed on the road for the last 2-3 weeks, I did not have a chance to call them either. To sum up all comments in this and the other threads, the following is the list of owner operator companies I am considering:

- Pinnacle
    - TCS
    - Container Port
    - TSL
    - Hub Group
    - Wind Walker Express (their ad came up couple days ago saying they pull out of BNSF in Edgerton)

My plan is to come home (Kansas City) every night or every other night and make at least $2500 net every week by working 5 days and 50 hours or so.

Calling these companies is one thing and to find out they are a messed up company after signing on is another thing. Therefore, any more inputs are greatly appreciated!!!

8. PO Stoner

Jul 6, 2015
    I see KCI and PB Express quite a bit. Might add them to the list. I rarely see Pinnacle which has me wondering. I've met the driver managers and liked what they had to say. I just wish I would see some of their trucks more frequently to indicate they have freight to keep me busy. If you find out anything about Container Port, please pass it on. They look pretty good in their ads and I also see them alot. But....don't they all.

$2500 would be great! My break even net is $1800-2000 or $3500 gross so that my pay is equal to what I make now, $80k (including value of benefits) as a company driver.

9. DesiTrucker

DesiTrucker Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Nj
    I live in nj. I spoke to a containerPort owner operator. Been there 8 years. Averages $1.50 a mile round trip. Usually has the assignment the day before and no waiting time. Company drivers bring the containers to the yard and owner operator delivers. Your in KC so it may be different. He was constantly doing nj to OH runs

TmGM and PO Stoner Thank this.
  10. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    I have an interview with them next Week to join the office staff let's see how it goes my days in the road are almost done!

11. DesiTrucker

DesiTrucker Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Nj
    B
    Butttt...

Your still managing your trucks on the side?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.