Unlimited Mobile Internet

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Tb0n3, Nov 3, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The old phones were that way.

The last phone I rooted for a tethering app. Seemed to have worked off the stock app files. So it was really a waste of time.

I don't think it's doable anymore or even worth rooting these days unless you want to install a baked rom.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    It works but you need to run it through a VPN. It's a pain.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I did the same with Verizon. Got 5 lines. 3 phones a I watch and the jet pack was a bonus, basically because of package price. Dropped all cable, phone, and internet at home. Now, between 2 phones, and the jet pack, We have plenty of access to Netflix, Showtime, when at home.

5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Depending on the unlimited plan your netflix is going to be limited to either 480p or 720p. Go to fast.com and it'll tell you how fast your connection to netflix is. They do that for most major video providers. If you want to bypass the limit I'd recommend getting a VPN like PrivateInternetAccess which tends to have good sales for multiple years of plans. I think I'm currently on the 3 year at $100.

6. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I just signed up for a trial VPN through Protonmail, which is a Swiss secure email that also offers VPN, including free but slower.

Will that really make tethering undetectable?

I still have an early version of Wireless Tether from when it really worked before Google took it down for working too well. Needs root and not sure it would work on more modern Android.

7. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    The way to bypass it is to be rooted, and run VPN Hotspot to route all traffic through it.

speedyk Thanks this.
  8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Scratch what I said. Verizon lied. The jetpack has the tethering limits, not unlimited. I'm pretty pissed off right now.

speedyk and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Yep, that’s the problem with all of it.

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    As soon as I saw the message about 10% premium tethering data I knew I was completely lied to. First by one store, then the Verizon customer service and a third time by the store I bought from.

speedyk and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I was going to say that I was under the very same impression and instantly migrated all of our phones, etc to the new plans so that I could set up my Verizon hotspot under that plan... but nope, as soon as I hit my limits, reality kicked in...

I’ve never been so mad at a company... I went over my expectations a few times with the original CSR, even said this seems too good to be true...

And it was...

They will let you add the 75Gb unlimited to a pad/tablet IF you have it on a phone too.

so now I have an iPhone on the 75Gb Plan, and an iPad on same plan... and still my hotspot.

it’s a bit over kill but I then have 30, 30, & 15 tethering too.

Subject to change and I WILL be shopping T-Mobile in the coming months.

Tb0n3 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.