Unloading during training phases

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by pharrari, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    There are not that many opportunities, and in the few cases that you can it just isnt worth it. Almost every place now has rules set up to make it nearly impossible to unload yourself. Rules like ... You can not use a pallet jack. You have to do it all by hand. Or they want you to re-palletize the the whole load and restack it a different way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It is not a way to make money with Stevens but a lot of other reefer companies will pay you what they would have to pay a lumper to unload. Bare in mind that as well as getting the product off the truck you will be required to break the load down how the warehouse wants it on pallets.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, there is a back support belt; you may see some grocery warehouse workers wearing one. That's what I used when I did my own lumping. Similar to a weight lifters belt, but this one fastens around the waist with velcro and has suspenders attached to go over the shoulders. Made good money too, sometimes as much as $500.00 a week extra.

5. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Most receivers won't let you unload unless you provide your own pallet jack, can show proof of insurance or have a 'lift truck license', (even tho you can't use theirs). Stevens will pay whatever a lumper service charges, but often it's just not worth it.
    As an example, Tyson approves 250.00 per truckload for their loads. But they won't accept Stevens receipts. If a receiver charges more (and often they do) it comes from Stevens. So as a driver, you won't get that money.
    Once in a while you get a chance and it's ok, but mostly it's dirty, time consuming and tiring..for not much money.

6. CougFan

CougFan Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You are not allowed to lump your own loads, it says so in the Stevens driver manual. That extra $100 a week is a lie.

7. Corporal_Clegg

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Where does it say this in the manual?

8. CougFan

CougFan Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
    It does, I dont have it in front of me. But it does clearly state "do not unload your own loads" The manual is poorly organized, but I think it was under lumper fee's or payroll.

9. Corporal_Clegg

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Your correct.

From the manual: Do not load or unload yourself, as more and more of our customers will not accept a Stevens Labor receipt, and if not, you will not be reimbursed. Contact Dispatch if you have a question about a particular customer.

But what this is saying is that you CAN unload, but you need to insure that customer will accept a Stevens Labor receipt, or you wont be reimbursed.

10. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    We do pay. I have issued T checks for this in the last 30 days. But if the shipper doesn't accept a Stevens receipt, you won't get reimbursed.

11. Drew352

Drew352 Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Leesburg,fl
    I know Stevens hauls alot of Tyson loads and I can tell you as an ex lumper I wouldn't wanna be unloading/breaking down those loads with a pump jack most warehouse will not let a driver use the electric equipment.. Most the pallets weight few thousands lbs plus gotta breaks it all down I remember avg Tyson load was 2500-3000 cases would come in on 28-30pallets and backdown into 90-130 pallets $100 isn't bad that's about what the lumper would probably make to do it maybe little more depending on warehouse. But they have electric equipment which makes it easier plus know tricks to break it down faster. Use to take me 2-2 1/2hrs to do avg Tyson load but I was fast also. I've seen ppl take 6-7hrs to do the same truck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.