Unlocking phones

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by snowwy, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Some newer phones can not be used with other sims until its unlockes. Verizon wants $125 I think to unlock phone after you buy it. But honestly only Verizon and at&t is worth having if you run all over the place. And yes contact phones are better coverage than prepay when Verizon is the topic. Out west in the mountains it does not matter what phone you have you will be in no service areas quite often. Than the CB is king.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Newer phones also if you want better coverage.

I bought the s8+ 2 weeks after it came out. But i did the payment plan. $850 was a bit too steep to buy outright.

ATT has a $100 phone but i learned my lesson with the $150 phone on verizon and sprint. The cheap phones just don't work. But i do like the size. I'm not liking these bigger phones. This s8 is so big and SLICK. It's been dropped more then any other phone I've EVER had.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It makes the world of difference. Cell phones are of two kinds. the one that is considered unlocked and can communicate freely on a certain network type and the other is a captive phone and those are not allowed to just pick any old tower.

If you take the sim card (Carefully...) out of a smart phone, anyone trying to call it literally has nothing to connect to. When combined with the battery out, you truly have a paperweight. It is completely inanimate and dead.

5. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Generally you can't use Verizon/Sprint (CDMA) phones on the att/tmobile (GSM) networks, they use physically different network communication standards.

Good Luck!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It used to be that way, but not anymore. Things have changed with the introduction of LTE
    How to Unlock Your Verizon Phone or Tablet

snowwy and fargonaz Thank this.
  7. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    @snowwy
    Just to see how it worked, last year, I bought a Verizon-branded Motorola Moto E4 (prepaid). It came with a Verizon Prepaid SIM card. Before activating that phone, I purchased a cheap ($1.00) GSM SIM card (I think it was Lycamobile, but it could be any GSM SIM card). Then I purchased an unlock code from e-Bay for $3.99 (don't remember who, but I can find it, if you want it),. Within minutes of me supplying them with the phone's IMEI number, they sent me the unlock code. I then inserted the GSM SIM card into the phone and it asked for the unlock code. I entered the one I purchased from e-Bay and the phone rebooted itself. When it came back on, it was showing the Lycamobile GSM network.

Since then, I have put an active but different Verizon MVNO in the phone and was able to make and receive calls, texts, and use data. I have recently put my Cricket (AT&T MVNO) into the phone and again, I was able to make and receive calls and texts, as well as use data.

In summary, I paid $49.99 for the phone and $4.99 for the additional, non-Verizon SIM card and unlock code. Now I have a pretty decent little back-up phone that I can use on any network. Since you already have the phone you want to use, all you would be out is about $5.00 to make it work as you want it. Check your local Dollar General or other discount stores for GSM SIM cards (ATT or T-Mo or their MVNOs). You actually may be able to use the AT&T SIM from your current hotspot device but for the unlock code to work, it may have to have an unused SIM card. Worth a shot.

The key to making sure you phone will work on a different network is to make sure it has the bands needed for the new network. This website shows your VZW S6 and Sprint S8+ has the bands necessary to be used on AT&T. WillMyPhoneWork.net - Check if your phone works on a network Should you choose to go this route with either of your current phones, you MAY have to manually change the APN settings of your current phone from VZW or Sprint to the APN setting of AT&T. That new setting isn't hard to find and is extremely easy to enter into your phone's settings.

Best of luck. I don't think you will have any issues getting either of your phones to work on AT&T.

River9601, snowwy and fargonaz Thank this.
  8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The CDMA phones use GSM for data now.

I have US Cellular, and it works more places than not, except in Sprint areas it's more hit and miss.

It didn't work right on 4GLTE in Brooklyn, but it worked tolerably on 3g and 1x. Just had to wait quite a bit to switch.

The big names all leave much to be desired where I live, and I'm home more than not.

snowwy and fargonaz Thank this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Without paying your phone off, the IMEI will be blacklisted once you quit paying for your service. If you tell your carrier you are taking a trip to Mexico next week and need the unlock code to use a prepaid SIM while on vacation, they will give you the unlock code free of charge.

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Verizon phones use both CDMA and GSM networks and will work on the ATT network. Ask me how I know. On the other hand, ATT phones will not work on the CDMA network.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  11. slim6596

slim6596 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Bought a new Motorola X Pure edition {2015} model from Best Buy in early 2016 for $250 and it's carrier "friendly", meaning you can put any carrier SIM card in and use it.

snowwy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.