Unprofitable O/O - Canadian

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by haider99, Mar 19, 2014.

1. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Hello,

I don't know whether this is the right place to put this thread of the Canadian Section but anyways, I need some help. I currently have 3 trucks with carrier pulling containers daily, from Montreal Port - Toronto Ontario. My drivers are awesome, love the work and are making decent money. However, I cannot drive truck for few months now because of a recent Big surgery. After many calculation by myself and my son, we noticed that we still are not making any money from the three trucks. The trucks are consuming too much diesel and in the end, I am making monthly truck payments (for 2) out of my savings. I contacted LandStar and Loadlink for some information, and if there is any path to turn this unprofitable business into a profitable.

Please everyone, I will be grateful for any help as to what options i have besides selling the truck. And I had own authority once but now i don't and i am a total newbie when it comes to loadboards.Therefore, a kick in the back will be needed as my first step and if you guys can tell me what i have to do. I am okay with working with flatbeds as well.

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    What's your cost per mile? Why are you averaging less? It's pretty simple really. I don't know about up there, but container pay down here is the absolute worst. It sounds like you're in over your head. Bringing in a manager might be the only way to dig yourself out unless you have deep pockets to keep learning.

Not everyone is cut out to run a business. There is no shame in that, in fact, some of the richest men in the world own a lot of businesses, but hire people to run them.

4. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    I agree with you, and brought in my son to figure it our for me. I had trucks in another company before and was making good money. That was not container work. At this new company i am getting decent miles and pay is decent too but between 65%-70% of my Gross is going towards Diesel, and that is hurting me a lot. For example, 1 truck did $25000 of work, and consumed $18000 of diesel.

5. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Is that a truck problem, a driver problem, or a pay problem? This is a real basic issue here. How many odometer miles(or kilometers) does that work period encompass? How many gallons were used? Are those figures roughly what you got with your truck doing the same route?

281ric Thanks this.
  6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Depending on what carrier he is on with there are some really good rates for Container work between Toronto / Montreal along with a few carriers giving discount on fuel and the FSC. And you usually run back to Montreal empty but loads out of Montreal are likely MAX weight

7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Hmmmm. I wonder if you get better mileage than the drivers get. What is the fuel mileage for each of the three trucks? What is your gross weight for each leg of the trip? Where do your drivers get fuel and how do they pay?

I run up and down that rd grossing 75,000 and I get 8.0 to 9.0 miles to the Canadian gallon with my M11 Cummins and 4.33 rear. That works out to $.65 - $.70/mile for fuel after you take out your 13% HST rebate. Now, you tell us that you are spending 70% of your gross on fuel, that tells me you are only getting $1.00/mile for all miles....or $2/mile if your return miles are unpaid.

Need more details but I smell a rat in the fuel mileage department.

8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Easy to gross 84,900 ( licensed for 110,000 ) up there with a TRI AXLE CHASSIS and not many hills between Toronto and Montreal but a lot of heavy footed container haulers , empty returns or just bare chassis relocates are paid by the majority of carriers that I know of

9. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds like your drivers might be selling fuel on the side. Ya think?

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  10. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    My trucks are averaging 450 litres to a 690 (average) mile trip. Discount fuel from the company is $1.35 litre. So with taxes being added to the fuel, it words out to be $0.88 . Sometimes heading to Montreal its empty and return its always full. Difference of pay between empty and full is $0.20.

11. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    Looking at my last 2 week statement for example, one driver made 6.5 Trips to Montreal (690 miles each). With fuel surcharge, we made $6900. Paid $4800 in fuel, and $2000 to my driver. The only portion is saved is HST rebate fro fuel and drivers pay.

I want to look at other options and be independent with own authority, i dont see any decent margins being an O/O with driver

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.