Unreported accident

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by John Marston, May 17, 2019.

1. John Marston

John Marston Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2018
    I've been driving solo for my company since March 12 of this year. A few day ago I was at a customer in Kentucky and when I was hooking the truck around to back up towards their dock I nudged a car's bumper that was parked along the outside edge of the pavement. I immediately pulled forward and pulled the brakes then went in and told the shipping office what happened. We found the owner of the car and he looked at the bumper and just shrugged it off saying it was nothing. The shipping office told the safety team and they put together a report but he took me in and urged them to not blow it up or tell my company because he was going to work it out with me. All of the people there were very nice and understood all of the crap we drivers have to deal with. They told me they would not send the report to my company if we worked it out. All I did was scuff his bumper with my tire and break a red reflector. He said he would just tell insurance someone bumped him at walmart, but i told him I'd pay out of pocket for his damage since he was nice about everything. I thought about it for the rest of the day and asked my old trainer for advice. Someone from the company could go ahead and send that report and I'd be canned immediately for not reporting it, so I just weighed my options. I went ahead and came clean to Safety when I stopped for the day about five hours after the incident and they were pretty pissed about not reporting it right away. I have to report every little scratch and ding and take pictures with my PeopleNet tablet or else its a deal breaker. I gave them the contact information for the customer to get the safety report, but when I was there I didnt even get anyones name because my mind was going a million miles an hour and running on only a few hours of actual sleep (I'd been driving all night). Since I'm new and they have all this money invested in me are they likely going to fire me? I'm pretty sure that guy isn't going to turn around and sue the company. They said to get with my fleet manager about getting routed back to my home terminal for disciplinary yelling and training videos but I haven't heard anything even after I told her and no one has notified her of anything either. This job is my big break and I think i may have shot myself in the foot.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Reason for edit: Error, clarification
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    first and foremost all companies DEMAND that you REPORT ANY ACCIDENT ASAP. that way they can deal with it right away.
    that guy can say he was in the car, and now he is hurt, screwing you, and your company.

you will most likely have to swing by the home terminal and talk with the safety people.

suspension can take place, i don;t know about firing, but some companies have a ZERO tollerance for not following the rules. you most likely sat in an orientation class and was told all about this.

good luck

im6under Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Even if the company fires you, you'll have another job within 24 hours.
    Personally, I wouldn't have said anything to the company.
    If you're fired over something that simple, let us know and we'll help you find a better company to work for.

5. John Marston

Nov 7, 2018
    No, actually there were plenty of witnesses and it was in the safety report. Even the head of safety was there. Pretty much everyone on the shift was there with both of us in the shipping office while we talked it over, and he was indoors working when it happened. Im guessing its a matter of whether or not my company wants to see a return on their investment in getting me going with them.

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    For future reference, once you decide to take care of it your self or otherwise not say anything, DO NOT say anything.

sevenmph, Woodys, 88228822 and 7 others Thank this.
  7. John Marston

Nov 7, 2018
    Thanks. If I were to guess Id say it's about a 50/50 chance.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which state do you live in?

9. John Marston

Nov 7, 2018
    Just didn't want it looming over my head, but now I may have a lot more.
    Missouri

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Reason for edit: Error
    sevenmph Thanks this.
  10. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I really hope that isn't your real name. You might want to edit your post and remove the name of your company.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Missouri; plenty of companies will hire you.
    If something happens, take a look at Western Dairy Transport; two facilities in Missouri.
    Plenty of others to choose from.
    I'll be surprised if they fire you; you followed proper protocol by reporting it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.