Unsecured Load...Accident?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Danch, May 23, 2017.

1. Danch

Danch Light Load Member

May 10, 2016
    I have a question for the experienced drivers on this forum... I have (or had) +5 points on my driving record. I drive roll off trucks. I was pulling a dumpster onto my truck in a tight area with trees hanging low overhead. Part of the dumpster nicked a thick branch on the tree and knocked it over. Long story short the tree was city property they chopped it up within an hour and hauled it away.The damage was a foot high piece of what I can only describe as a little piece of metal fence you stick in the ground that goes around gardens(estimated @ $50), the tree, a lifted piece of sidewalk that just needs to be put back in place and no parking sign that was attached to the tree root (estimated $2000 for the tree service ect). The officer remarked that the tree was freshly planted and hardly had any roots. The officer who responded gave me an accident report even though the truck wasn't moving at the time and there was no damage to the truck. She seemed lost and had to call a "traffic cop" to get advice. She said she had to give me something because it was city property so instead of reckless driving she gave me a ticket for unsecured load that I could either prepay or go to court for.

My question is does this actually count as an accident as far as job applications, insurance ect go?

Whats the difference between DOT reportable and non reportable accidents as far as job apps, insurance go?

Does this sound like an unsecured load?

Should I go to court and explain what happened or just pay the ticket and keep it moving?

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    It sure wasn't unsecured load. I would take your day in court. What you did is minor property damage, and if your companys insurance covered it, its a done deal. You should not get any ticket of any form. Damage paid for? Were done.

AModelCat, TallJoe and Danch Thank this.
  4. Danch

Danch Light Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Do I need a lawyer?

5. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Eh? Wouldn't hurt to call a few for "free consultation" my buddy did that, called 6. The first 3 are learning what questions to ask the last 3...

6. Danch

Danch Light Load Member

May 10, 2016
    btw will it count as an accident since she gave me an accident report?

7. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    You would have to ask the cops that. Accident? Probably not, but will it show on your record? Im not sure. Points? Also not sure.

8. Danch

Danch Light Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Yea the cop didn't know she didn't seem very knowledgable I just figured if its an accident report it would be auomatically counted an accident. How do trucking companies check for accidents so I can check my own records?

9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    What did your company say?

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I'd take one. The unsecured load ticket does not do you much good CDL-wise and the best thing to do is to dismiss it or amend it down it to a non CDL related offense; a local lawyer would know if it would be possible or not.

fargonaz and crb Thank this.
  11. Danch

Danch Light Load Member

May 10, 2016
    They said thats what we have insurance for and to shake it off it's a small family owned company

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.