Unsure which tablet device to get?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by LaTrokera2020, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You are required by DOT to be able to email or send them a copy of your ELD logs if they want to see the last 7 days. So you will need data. I think you can fax them but nobody really use that. That still need data from tablet or ipad. That's why my company just put unlimited data on their tables and we can watch YouTube or Netflix or get on the internet when parked.

LaTrokera2020 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Don't need to wireless transfer. There are options for local transfer the office must allow. They can ask to wirelessly transfer the logs, but if there is no option to then they must use one of those if they want the data.,
    And the fax option was AOBR's. and only if the officer allowed it. They didn't have to.

(1) Option 1—Telematics transfer methods. Transfer the electronic data using both:
    (i) Wireless Web services, and
    (ii) Email, or

(2) Option 2—Local transfer methods. Transfer the electronic data using both:
    (i) USB2 (incorporated by reference, see §395.38), and
    (ii) Bluetooth (incorporated by reference, see §395.38).

4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Really? So like, dash mounted with your HOS in front of you at all times? Back when paper logs were a thing, did you have to duct tape your log book to the dash?

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Doesn't matter what the law was, matters what it is now. Here is the wording from 395.

(g) Portable ELDs. If a driver uses a portable ELD, the motor carrier shall ensure that the ELD is mounted in a fixed position during the operation of the commercial motor vehicle and visible to the driver when the driver is seated in the normal driving position.

88 Alpha and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Ya, that was then, this is now.

But it does make for a funny image when we mix the two... having a permanently mounted and visible clip board to hold the paper logbook... lol

7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    So a portable ELD. If you've got the ELD module mounted to the dash, and it's linked to your phone, is that portable, or not? And regardless of "that was then, this is now", it's a stupid law.

8. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I would assume the intent is to be able to see the data at a glance and hands free. While I don’t know your setup if the data is viewable on your module then that would need to be mounded. If the viewable data is not available on the module but is being sent to the screen of your Phone, then you would need some way to easily, and hands free, view the data on the screen of the phone by having it mounted.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You can buy 8 inch tablets with GPS for $200 and don't know if still offered. Unlimited internet $20. From cell carriers.

ATT still had em few months back but that may have changed with the pandemic.

$200 is the own price. You're not committed to a contract or credit check unless you want the cheaper payment plan.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.