update on marten

Discussion in 'Marten' started by rachi, Feb 25, 2010.

1. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    marten has cut pay on the longer runs- they no longer pay $50 for late hometime-no more $100 mini trips-every driver will have electronic logs in there truck by june 2010- perdiem pay is mandatory now. I have been a marten driver for almost two years, and ive been treated pretty good, but this new elec. log in my truck is going to take some getting used to. I average 2400 miles a week,they get me home when i want,though sometimes few days late. just get your loads on time, dont ##### about everything, be cool to your fleet manager, and you wont have any problems. now and then youre gonna sit a day or two, and now and then your gonna get a crappy 200 mile load. Thats the way it is. If you live out west you will get the longer loads, if you leave out east, you may get the shorter loads. The shorter loads pay more per mile than the longer ones. The veteran marten drivers are the unhappiest , because they remember when they were running 3500 miles , had all the perks, and you could run your log book the way you wanted. Those days are gone here at marten. but dont worry, every company is eventually going to the E- log.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    I haven't seen any cut in long load pay and old times are un-happy ever where. The days of cowboy trucking where you ran it any way you wanted, To heck with the laws are over. The industry is changing and you ether change with it or move on. I do agree that live is easier if you don't whine and cry about everything and are cool with your FM. Me and my FM get along great and because of it I get 2700 a week. I'll have 2758 for this week and pick up a 1900 mile trip tomorrow to start next week off.

KingTrucker Thanks this.
  4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    What i meant was that marten does not allow cheating on the logs. But you can still get great miles. I average 2400 because i take home time often, but it works for me. And there are still alot of "perks" like the apu with inverter, holiday pay,no hassle hometime, to name a few.

5. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    so i live out west, when i leave the house, i get sent back to the midwest, east coast regionals, and there i run , till it's time to go home in 3-4 weeks. Forced perdeim is starting to hurt.

6. BigKid2

BigKid2 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Indiana

You haven't seen any cut in long load pay because it was cut before you ever went to work there. It was cut 9/1/09 same day they started mandatory per diem which the charge 3 cents a mile for.

7. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    That was 2 weeks before I sarted and not to be argumentative but dosen't that make it ald news.

8. Psywarrior

Psywarrior Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Per Diem is a tax dodge for the company and profits ONLY the company. It cuts down on their payroll taxes as well as their workmans comp payments. then, when it is time for you to retire, your income is reported at the LOWER rate. So, your social security will be lower. If you get hurt on the job, your workmans comp is based on the lower rate, so you get 70% of the lower reported gross. If you try to buy a house or car, your pay shows at the lower rate and it damages your credit. A lot of drivers have lost their homes because companies like Marten tell them that they don't need to worry about per diem and didn't figure it in their taxes. If the company converts too much into per diem, then you will owe taxes back. You fail to figure that in and you can also be charged with fraud. Do you want to lose your home, retirement or freedom because marten wants to dodge their responsibilities?:mmad:

skibum_63 Thanks this.
  9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Here's a newer update on Marten.

They now pay for all scales no matter what the weight. They used to pay only on loads that were 42,000 or heavier. We got a QC message asking us to scale all loads, no matter how light. I guess they got tired of sending a forklift out to the scalehouses cause some newbees can't figure out axle weights.

Trucks are in good shape with mainly freightliners and Petes.

Trailers are in good shape. We are required to run through the inspection lane at the terminals, so they catch any problems like bald tires, a lite out, etc.

After two hours in the docks they pay $20.00 hr detention pay. You don't have to jump through hoops to get it either.
    If you have trailer problems out on the road, they pay $20.00 hr.

They pay $100.00 a day layover starting the first day.

They don't route you on your loads, you choose your own route. Not once in my 4.5 years here have they ever got on me about the route I take, and I don't always take the most direct route. I take the quickest route for the most part.

They don't tell you where to fuel. Just make sure it's a "J" or a pilot.

I might add something about the trailers. Don't pull a trailer through a scale with a known problem such as a bad or low tire, or a lite out.

If you watch a saftey video on the QC or your laptop/smart phone, you get paid $70.00 month.

The western fleet gets good miles. I can't tell you about the fleets in other areas cause I don't have a clue. I can tell you that when I was running otr with Marten I wasn't very happy with my miles. Hometime could be better on the western fleet. it's 12 days out and two days off. That's not to good Imo. They wanna keep you in the seat as much as possible.

They have what they call "Flex fleet". It's 7 days on, 7 days off. You won't make alot of money, but you get home alot. Maybe you spouse has a good paying job, and you don't need to bring in that much.

If you wanna take a chance on otr you can stay out 20 days and get 4 days off, but they don't allow that schedule on the western fleet. Even with otr, the max allowed time off is 4 days. So if you stay out 6 weeks, you still only get 4 days off.

Vacation time comes they wan't you to clean out your truck, but that ain't set in stone. So far I have never cleaned out my truck at vacation time.

Yeah, they do the per diem pay here.

They got that new mcp 200 QC, with truck navagation. Helps you stay on the truck routes. If you get a hazmat load, it will route you on hazmat routes.

You don't need hazmat to get on here, ( at least not when I started) But they may coax you to get it later on. If I had to do it over, I would not have gotten it cause I only get a few hazmat loads per year. To me, it's not worth the extra attention you may get at the scale house. They do pay $50.00 extra for hazmat loads.

They run solo and teams, and they have some oo's. They don't do the lease thing here.

Apu's on the trucks with inverters to run your microwave, coffee pot,etc..

When its time to take your truck in for maint at the terminals, make sure the inside is halifway clean, and if you got a pee bottle hide it.

Also, when you go thru the inspection lane at the yards they like to take a peek inside.

Hey, did ya all know that skibum really does love Marten? lol.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  10. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    So how much is now days, they charge drivers for being on forced perdeim.

11. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    How's it going skibum. I think it's still .3 cents.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.